Oh, fuck!

Like I said, the thing about writing, is that you can plot all you want, but the characters always wind up making their own choices...that is, basically, me declining every responsibility for what you'll read in the next chapters *goes hiding*

CHAPTER 52 - OH, FUCK!

"Will you stop staring at me like that? I'm fine." I snapped. It's all very sweet that your boyfriend worries this much about you, but when you can barely move a muscle that he follows you with his eyes, it gets unnerving.

"The patch on your forehead says otherwise." Jake grumbled. He obviously doesn't agree with me going to work after what happened last night. I say why not? We rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night and they patched me up within a couple of hours, which allows me to be perfectly punctual for work.

I won't give my co-workers any more reason to think I'm being treated differently just because I'm the boss' girlfriend. They're already murmuring behind my back, all because Jake had the brightest idea to make our relationship known to the whole office over a month ago. Not that there weren't rumors before, but him coming straight to me after a stressful day spent dealing with his uncle and kissing the heck out of me in the middle of the office was quite an announcement. If they had doubts before, they were sure after that. Needless to say, Hillary didn't take it too well.

I sighed, fixing my hair just so the patch couldn't be seen. "You heard the doctor. It's nothing to worry about. It's not even the first time I knock my head, I'm fine."

"You lost a lot of blood, Silvia."

I rolled my eyes, finally ready to go to work. "The thing about blood, is that we've got a shit ton of it, so don't worry, I won't bleed out just yet." Although it is true that I lost a lot of blood.

You must be wondering, what the hell happened? Well, put simply: Jake has nightmares; those nightmares are often violent; his girlfriend, aka me, doesn't agree with sleeping separately, therefore she has been taking it upon her to subside said nightmares when they come. Well, last night I couldn't. The nightmare was more violent than usual, so when I tried to block Jake, like always, I wound up being tossed out of the bed, and I wound up knocking my head against the nightstand.

There. Now you have it. Nothing so dramatic. He speaks of blood gushing out, but the truth is, I just hurt my temple, nothing too bad. I lost consciousness due to the blow. Obviously, my boyfriend took it as bad as you could imagine.

"Silvia ..." Jake rubbed the bridge of his nose, not at all in the mood to joke for once, "don't you see? It could have gone a lot, lot worse!"

"But it went well instead." I forced a smile on my face. Yes, my head does hurt. Yes, I am worried about what have I gotten into. Yes, every fiber of my being tells me to listen to him and just give up. But I won't. Of course I freaking won't. I'm a fighter, I won't give up so easily, especially not now that we seem to be going so well, not now that we're this close to tackling his issues, Dr. Martin agrees with me.

"I could have killed you."

"But you didn't, and you wouldn't."

"You know I can't control myself when ..." Jake cursed under his breath, "Jesus Christ, woman, what are you even doing here?! You should have run off so long ago!"

I half smiled, turning around to look at him. I walked over to him, and raised my hand to caress his cheek, though not before having tucked my arm safely beneath my cardigan. He shouldn't see the bruises, sense of guilt would kill him. "I'm a stubborn ox, you should know that by now."

"Silvia ..." Jake sighed, grabbing my hand to slip it off his face, pushing me away, and began to pace the room, "you don't understand ... this is no child's play. If it happened once, it may happen again. Next time might be worse, so much worse. I just ..." he sighed heavily, kicking the wall by good measure. My heart sank when his voice broke. "I couldn't live with myself if I ..." he closed his eyes when his voice failed him.