Easy breezy

I wrote this on an empty stomach, so...sorry, it's probably crap

CHAPTER 42 - EASY BREEZY

JAKE'S POV

"You alright?"

I closed my eyes, tired of hearing the same goddamn question over and over again. "Yes, yes, I'm alright. Same as the other five times you asked." It's fine. It really is. I just ... better know now than later, right?

Better be sure now than wait to tell her the whole story. I shouldn't even bother. She sees me the exact same way as I see myself, what's the surprise in that? I can't even blame her. I am a murderer, I have done awful shit in my life, so what do I have to complain?

"You say it, but I can't believe you. Not when you answer like that."

I rolled my eyes, turning back to her. "Liv, no offense, but can you just shut the fuck up for once?" I snapped. "I don't need you babysitting me all the damn time. I'm a grown ass man." A grown ass man that's trying his hardest not to break down mentally for some stupid shit his girlfriend said.

Why do I even care this much? I know what I am, just because Silvia said it out loud, too, doesn't mean it's any different. If anything, it means that she sees me for what I really am. That should be positive, right? She isn't blinded by looks or crap like that, she sees me for what I am. The real question is, can she live with that? Can she love and live beside a man that's done such horrible things?

I always thought the answer would be no, and it turns out that, as it basically always happens, I'm right. It should be fine, she's entitled to her opinion, especially when it's the right one, I just ... it just hurts. I may be a grown ass man, but if there's one opinion I care for the most, that's hers. Seeing myself with her eyes, it makes me feel even worse than I usually do.

God, I knew it might end someday, and I knew it would be my fault, but this was the fastest relationship ever. How long did we last? Like ... 18 hours?

Olivia stared at me intently, clearly offended at the tone I used with her, but right now I couldn't be bothered to care. After that ... what should I call it, fight? After that small fight Silvia and I had, I sent her away despite her protests, claiming I needed time to myself, but not even 5 minutes later Olivia barged in with her smile and cake and all that crap. I've never been so displeased to see her.

"Didn't you have a job interview or something?" I wondered, snappy. I was still sitting on the floor of the balcony, trying to breathe fresh hair other than wallow in my misery, but it didn't really work.

"As I was telling you, I went this morning." Olivia said, sitting beside me. "And they said I wasn't qualified enough."

I frowned. "What qualifications do they need for a babysitter?"

She shrugged. "They said they preferred someone with a degree in nursing, in case the child got sick or hurt."

"You gotta be kidding me ... seriously? Now even babysitters ought to be college graduates? People are really freaking out here."

Olivia chuckled, hooking her arm to mine as she left her head on my shoulder. "It's alright, I'll get something different. Besides, we haven't gotten the chance to be roomies yet ... do you want me to go before I get to know if you actually wake up that gorgeous in the morning?"

I half smiled, feeling lighter for a moment. "You've seen me in the morning, Liv. I am what I am." I smirked. "I don't use products, I don't have any secret, I'm just as awesomely breathtaking, as blindingly hot as you see me."

She laughed, and I guess it was a nice sight. The thing about Olivia, it's that I always feel transported to a time when my life was just a tiny bit less complicated. A time when I wasn't a murderer. It's nice. Especially at a time like this, when the world has just crumbled onto my shoulders. Again.