15. Boxing 101.

Left to my own devices, I did two sets of the jump-rope warm-up and then worked on stretches that I would do at my gym. The time passed quickly; my mind had leapt into the habit of the workout as repetition seems to keep my mind clear.

Mr Del-Ray tapped me lightly on the shoulder which caught me slightly distracted to my surrounding; he explained that he was going to wrap my hands and talked about the basic boxing 101 stance and he backed away from me slightly.

"Okay Steven, I want you to try and copy me the best you can, It's your first time so don't over analyse every move, go with the flow and do what feels comfortable." He then staggered his feet slightly and bounced a little; I copied his movement.

"Stand perpendicular to me," he continued saying I kept quiet and concentrated on his words matching his movements. "Step to the right until you see a gap between your legs, that's it Steven, get up on your toes and then point them forward. You're doing well, keep your feet staggered, bend your knees, then upon the balls of your feet keep your elbows tight to your body, chin down, hands up. Excellent Steven, I believe you are ready for the ring. Let's go." I nodded my head and followed him.

Men lined the ring watching tonight's fights, and what looked like auditions it all seemed to be very serious. It also looked like I might be a star attraction. The men stood back to give me a little more room I felt embarrassed that I was jumping the line, but no one questions Mr Del-Ray. I didn't perceive myself as tall, but most of the men had to look up at me, and they stared with their mouths gaping open. Being in love with Purdy had its disadvantages. Instantly thinking about Purdy, I glanced around the gym until I spotted her. Now I was ready to take on her Dad and Lance Del-Ray.

Lance Del-Ray instructed me on how to stand, but basically, he just repeated what Purdy's dad had already told me. He showed me how to do jab punches and instructed me on how to use my weight to throw a power punch. Purdy's dad also joined us in the ring along with a woman that was doing the warm-up with me.

"Right Steven, follow Rachel's movements you will get the hang of it. So Rachel went through a series of moves, and then I repeated it. I could feel my heart pumping, and my body tiring as I matched Rachel's workout. Man O Man she's one fit cookie. I kept going the Del-Ray men kept encouraging me and the praise I was getting out weighted the fatigue.

"Good job Steven. You fought well for your first time, and you have gained my respect for having the confidence to jump in the ring with me. You passed my test." Lance Del-Ray nodded his head, and a different set of fighters came into the ring.

I left the ring and saw purdy standing with a huge grin which probably matched my own, and I rushed over to her and picked her up and hugged her tight.

"Take it you enjoyed that." She asked, then I realised most of the people in the gym were watching us. So I put her back on the ground.

"That was awesome," I answered. The hug even better, but I didn't say that bit out loud.

"Well, go get showered, and I will drive you home. I don't want to get in too much bother with your mother." Purdy sighed, and she might have rolled her eyes.

Today had probably been much of an eye-opener for her as it was for me and my mother can be a lot to handle when they meet her for the first time.

My shower didn't take that long, even though it was pretty crowded but nobody bothered me. A few men said some friendly chit-chat remarks, and I got a few 'see you later, Steven.'

Finishing up and packing my gear away, I took out my phone and checked for messages; my father had told me that they were at the hospital and wouldn't be home until late. I left the locker-room and remembering I need to find crusher to give him my phone number I headed in his direction. He was standing with his arm around Purdy, and I stopped dead in my tracks; I felt angry, I don't understand where these emotions are coming from I didn't have them before I met Purdy. Although the moment he saw me, he took his arm from Purdy and headed over to me, outstretched his hand for me to shake. I shook his hand automatically.

"You were okay up there tonight. So this is me eating humble pie, so hit me with your number and that's me out of here. Will set up a time for your driving lesson I've got a banger that I use to teach the kids around here." I gave Crusher my number, and he left shouting goodbyes to everyone.

I didn't want to go home to an empty house after the excitement of tonight I was still buzzing. I was also hungry.

"I'm starving, you know anywhere we can go to eat around here?" I asked Purdy.

"Yes, of course, I will introduce you to Denise, my dad's wife and kind of my step mum." She said with a cheeky grin.

"Great," I say, but thinking oh no not more new people and her step mum, is she seeking revenge on me because of my mum's offensive behaviour.

Thanks for reading Chapter 15. If you are enjoying my story, please vote and leave a comment I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Chapter 15, Completed.

Nerd Boy   (COMPLETED)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें