7. Parties and Poems.

I arrived home to a flurry of chaos; I wasn't bothered this happens frequently my parents put on impromptu dinner parties to impress colleagues and family friends. I went straight to my bedroom; I know the routine off by heart now. I am expected to be dressed in my formal clothes by 4:30 pm and be standing by the door to welcome guests arriving. So instead of homework, I needed to shower and resemble something close to smart, which is not achievable with my messy longish hair that I refuse to get cut. I had less than 30 minutes; I wish my parents would message me in advance about these parties. I prefer it when I come home to an empty house.

It turns out that this party is for friends and neighbours, so Ed and his mother and Darnell and his parents arrive, which is a relief. A new family with twin daughters also show up; my mother tells me they have moved in a few doors down she tells me their names, but I've forgotten them already. My mother and father must know this new family well because they chat comfortably, my mother barks orders at the catering company and I go and sit with Ed and Darnell.

I can feel my consciousness slip from me, and the fogginess will take over soon, I am nothing but a prized possession in one of these parties. I will just run the gauntlet by talking when I am spoken too, being polite and never arguing even when I know the correct answer or If I have a different opinion. The meal always starts at 5 pm sharp because of my parents work, both of them will be on call from 9 pm.

Ed and Darnell discuss the new timetable for our new subject modules, but I zone out, its as if I am awake but sleeping at the same time. I can hear the conversations around me, but I have no interest in anything the adults are discussing. At some point, my mother must have made a short welcome speech, and now the first course of the meal was currently being served, so I eat it and clear my plate, not knowing what I have just consumed. The dinner arrives, and as I start eating, my cloudy mind tries to remember something crucial, but I'm too zoned out so it will have to wait.

The main course was now underway, and I could hear the faint ringing of bells and a loud knocking sound. My father, who is sitting at the head of the table, I am beside him and my mother opposite, he stops talking and excuses himself from the table. Then I realise that someone is at the door and I hear raised voices. My father is getting a little agitated I recognise that voice, but I am so sleepy it doesn't seem real; why would Purdy be here?

"OH, WOW!" I shout I quickly snap out my stupor and get up so fast I knock over my chair. The room has gone silent, and I look over to Ed and Darnell, and they are grinning because I am beaming, Purdy is here, and my father is refusing to let her in. This situation could not get any better.

I run towards the front door with my mum following hastily behind me.

"F*ck sake Nerd Boy your dad here won't let me the fu*k in," she called out to me. Purdy was here at my house; she was standing at my front door grinning at me probably because I stood there speechless. 

"Well, Nerd Boy, aren't you going to invite me into your huge house? I can't help you with your poem standing here on your doorstep."

Again all I can think about is that I am in love with the tattooed bad girl that doesn't stop swearing.

Please click the voting star if you enjoyed this chapter thanks.

Chapter seven completed.