II) Betrayed

Beginne am Anfang

The next morning, Katherine jumped awake when she heard thudding footsteps and the rattling of the doors. Her current predicament came flooding back to her like a tidal wave. She cursed under her breath as she rose to her feet, her legs feeling like a dead weight beneath her. She shuddered as she saw tiny bite marks in the otherwise untouched bread. Rats.

“Come on, princess,” mocked one of the guards with a smirk, as he proceeded to unlock the dungeon door.

Stonily silent, Katherine rose to her feet and stalked confidently out of the cell. Instantaneously, she was apprehended by two of the burly guards. She had every mind to tell them to release her as their fingers dug into her bare skin but she kept up her silence. Instead of allowing the guards to drag her, she matched their stride, trying to find her parents but realising the corridor ahead was deserted bar them and a few very nervous servants, scuttling out of the way like beetles avoiding being crushed under a heavy boot.

The first thing that Katherine noticed had changed was the bareness. The walls of the throne room which had been adorned with dazzlingly bright tapestries had been stripped and replaced by the Opposers’ red and black coat of arms – blood and death. The thrones had been removed and in their place stood one outrageously large throne made of mahogany with silk red cushions that looked like the whole thing had been dyed in blood. She was brought forward and made to stand in between her two parents who were as equally restrained as her. Only then did she notice that the iciness which had gripped her in the dungeons still hadn’t gone. The hearths around the room which were usually blazing were black and cold.

A sudden trumpet blast very similar to the one when the battle had been lost sounded and the high priest of the kingdom was shoved beside the throne, a sword at the nape of his neck. The vast doors swung open and Ravana entered, all eyes on him as his red and gold robes swept the floor.

Ravana moved slowly through the crowds of Opposers and settled himself on his new throne, his thin red lips curving into a malevolent smile. After arranging his robes, he nodded to the Opposer next to him. Katherine guessed he was one of the commanders because of the bright red armour which none of the others seemed to wear.

“By the power vested in me, I crown you Ravana, first of your name, King of Asaia,” stuttered the priest.

As he finished the words, the priest cast an apologetic look to the line of royals before taking the thick gold crown from the Opposer’s hands. He placed the crown on Ravana’s crop of jet black hair before he was violently pulled backwards and dragged from the throne room, his purpose now served.

“My people,” adressed Ravana, the rubies and onyxes encrusted in his crown gleaming as he rose up to his full height.

For once in her life, Katherine had the sense to bite her tongue and instead she settled for fixing Ravana with a steely glare.

“Long live the king! Long live the king! Long live the king!” chorused the people in the room, over and over again, all except the former monarchy.

The occupants of the room suddenly bowed low and remained with their heads down, leaving Katherine standing face to face with a grinning Ravana. On her right hand side was her father and on the left there was her mother. Then, there was her uncle, her two aunts and her three tearful younger cousins who flanked the end of the line.

“Have some respect for your king,” growled one of the guards in the red armour.

“I am the king,” opposed Edward, his voice resounding.

Ravana let out a callous laugh and motioned for his guards who instantly forced the former king into a bow despite his intense struggles.

“As the king, I order you to swear allegiance to me,” he said, his voice ringing with mockery