50

C H 50 |

"Hi grandpop." I greet my grandpa, waving at the computer screen as I sit down on my father's office chair. He just sits there for a couple of seconds, squinting at the screen until he finally waves back. Wow, the internet is delayed. Or maybe it's just him. Jokes! My grandpop is a smart man. Which is exactly why he is worth a couple of billion dollars.

Half of which I will be inheriting, and the other half my cousin Jace will be. This, I am very grateful for. With all this money used wisely, I am more than certain that we can save a couple of endangered species from extinction!

"Hey darl." He greets cheerfully, proudly showcasing his deteriorating teeth. "Sorry you can't visit my place kid, I'm getting some renovations done and therefore the area is currently not very child friendly."

Popping a grape into my mouth, I roll my eyes. "Grandpa, I'm not a little child anymore."

Grandpa furrows his brows. "Aren't you turning twelve soon?"

I gape at him. Do I really look that young?! "Grandpa, I'm turning eighteen soon!"

Grandpop just stares at the screen with his eyes squinted to the maximum limit any human being can. "Isn't this Jace?"

I groan. "No, this is your other grandchild, Summer!"

"Oh. Oh!" Grandpa exclaims, laughing. "Summer my favourite granddaughter!" I'm his only granddaughter. "How are you my dear? And why is your voice a little deep? Are you sick?"

"Er, no?"

"Oh." Grabbing what seems like glasses from his left, he slides them onto his face and gasps. "My, have you grown up! You look much more like a lady than you did when you were little. No offense, but those baggy jeans, hoodies and caps you wore the wrong way around were quite... peculiar and often people would mistaken you for a boy."

Little does he know that I still dress like that, all day, everyday.

"Aha yep... Anyways, grandpop, I have been thinking about something for a very long time now, and I think you might have the answers?"

"Ah indeed. This is the reason why I cancelled my lunch with Prince Erik Phillip of Sweden; to tell you about what happened to your mother."

Although the pace of my heartbeat quickens, I am ready to know who my mother really was. I wordlessly nod, and he clears his throat gently and begins.

"Once upon a couple of decades ago, your grandpa wasn't always an incredibly successful architect and founder of Homely magazine. I was still building my empire, but in the meantime I was actually a young and handsome detective—"

"—He was around fifty!" Grandma shouts from a faint distance behind the screen. "And you were a couple of months here."

I chuckle. "Hi grandma!"

"Hi sweety!" She yells back warmly. "Harrold darling, get to the point will you?"

Grandpa grunts at her before continuing. "Anyway, your mother was vet doctor, a true animal lover like you. But she also had a side job... Helping me hunt down criminals."

My mouth parts in simple astonishment. Wow, she helped take down bad guys too? My mom and I are similar in so many crazy ways. This makes me feel more closer to her.