Zassoon (Zass x Moon) #1

Requested by Winter_Lim
Part two coming soon~

***

Birds were chirping happily in trees; water at beach sloshing in and out, like the breathing of a great beast; the sun bright, but not awfully blazing.

It was the most perfect day.

And that day just happened to be Moon's birthday.

Moon arrived at the Academy carrying a paper bag slung around her arm, humming joyfully to herself as she made her way up polished steps to the Academy. She loved seeing the Academy. What with their neatly kept trees and a small river full of sparkling clean water. She could canon ball in anytime she wanted, which she has done numerous times after training.

Tempting it was, she resisted for the sake of sharing a happy news with her mates. A smile never left her even as she stepped over the threshold of the Academy.

Jet, who was over at the couches playing some game with Chris, looked up and greeted, "Heya Moon."

"Hey Jet." Moon hummed, dropping down on his other side, while opposite her was Zass, and beside him were Iman and Khai. Moon glanced around. Everyone was here. Putting on a very cheeky smile, Moon asked in a whisper barely suppressed by excitement.

"You guys know what day it is today?" Moon asked, hoping that someone would say the right answer.

"International Socks Day?" Chris answered absent-mindedly, not looking up from his intense game. "Hoi, that was mine!"

"Too bad I got em first." Jet smirked to himself as he thumbed away.

"Um...is it a day off today?" Iman said, tugging at her yellow shawl uncertainly.

Moon felt extremely let down. Did none of them really remember?

Just when she had lost all hope, Zass opposite her tapped on her shoulder. She perked up just in time to see Zass making the hand signal 'Your birthday?'

"ZASS!" Moon cried, flinging herself against him. Zass on the other hand, was nothing more than shocked. But then again, this was Moon. "You remembered!"

Zass didn't know what to do other than to pat Moon's back reassuringly. Khai and Iman exchanged smug looks.

Once Moon released Zass, she hopped to the centre of the couches and exclaimed at large, "WHO WANTS TO COME TO MY BIRTHDAY PARTY?" 

She looked around eagerly, expecting everyone to burst out to claim the top spot, but-

"A birthday party?" Roza repeated, a clear disgusted look on her face, as though it was a childish thing.

Everyone was staring at Moon with their eyebrows raised. Iman had beckoned Moon to come over to her and Khai, but not before that Chris had said, "Are you kidding? Moon, how old are you now?"

"I'm thirteen this year, of course!"

"Birthday parties are for kids." Mika rolled her eyes. 

"Is that what's inside the bag?" Rudy asked, his eyebrows raised. "Invitation cards?" 

"Moon, for God's sake, grow up," Roza snarled.

"Yeah, like, for frick's sake, no one goes to birthday parties anymore." Chris added, going back to his game. Jet, however, was not playing anymore. He was staring at Chris with a stony face most unlike him. 

Moon was on the verge of tears. Next thing they knew, she was running, sobbing openly, face buried in her hands towards the hallway at the back of the Academy. Each of them watched with different expressions as her wailing faded softer and softer, until they heard a door slam shut.

"Well, that settles matters." Chris shrugged.

Zass, however, was not done yet with things. He stood up.

"Zass, where're you going?" Khai whispered nervously as he strode pass him. Zass gave no indication of hearing him. 

He went to stand at where Moon was before, made a signal that clearly told everyone, 'This is for Moon', and showed a gesture with both his hands.

Everyone gasped. Even Chris had fallen off the couch. Mika and Roza were gaping at Zass as though he had went insane. 

After one furious, sweeping look, he placed both his hands back into his pockets and went towards Khai and Iman, who looked extremely unnerved and was afraid of him all of a sudden.

Zass jerked his head to the right, towards the back of the Academy. Khai and Iman understood. 

They both stood up and followed him to the back of the Academy. But just when they were about to be out of the range of sight, Jet had ran over to them, saying in a voice ready to kill, "I'll follow you."

Zass didn't have a problem of Jet following, so they just moved along while the others stared after them.

Upon entering an empty briefing room, Khai burst into speech.

"Zass! That was- was-" Khai struggled to find the exact word to describe what he had just witnessed. 

"Why do you want to talk to us?" Iman interrupted.

"We're definitely going to her party, right?" Jet questioned boldly. It didn't even sound like a question, but more of a confirmation.

Zass told them, 'How bout instead of going to her party, we make her one?'

"That's actually...not a bad idea," Iman commented, impressed. 

"But what about her actual party?" Khai asked.

"Knowing her, she'll have probably chuck all the invitation cards into the toilet," Jet said sadly.

Zass thought for a while before coming out with a perfect idea.

'Look here, guys...first, we'll...'