Moonstone

"You look lost in thought," a female voice sounds behind me as I lift the beer bottle to my lips once again, biting at it before setting the glass back on the wooden bar counter. "Something wrong, Mr. Salvatore?"

Spinning around on my stool, I come face to chest with a vampire I thought I'd never see again. She walked out of my life, said there was nothing left for us. We'd grown apart or some other bullshit excuse she gives me every time she wants to run off to save Stefan from himself. "Besides the fact I've drunk this town dry? No, I'm peachy."

"Oh come on, Damon," the blonde pouts, sitting down next to me. A leather-clad arm reaching forward across the bar to grab a glass, filling it from the tap in front of us. "Are you really going to treat me like that?"

"You don't deserve anything more, Diana. If I remember correctly you left me," I shoot back.

A hand covers my wrist. A thin silver ring sits on the ring finger. The blue stone winks up at me, taunting. It reminds me of a time when I thought the vampire sitting next to me would be mine forever. I'm surprised she didn't discard it, another attempt to force me out of her life. "But I came back. I'm always going to come back. Remember, it's us, forever, Damon."

"Did you have fun running around with Stefan? Did you get him to turn his humanity off again? You've always been good at corrupting him. Does he know you've come back here or did you slip off in the dark on him too?" I'm not in the mood for her flirting.

Pale green eyes meet mine. I make a point to not look directly in them. Diana has a way of pulling me back into her twisted world. "I'm not here to fight, Damon. I heard there was a serial killer in New York and I just had to see if I was right. Turns out I am."

"You've quenched your curiosity, now leave," I answer.

Diana snatches the beer bottle away from me as I go to grab it. She holds it up to her lips for a few seconds, leaving behind a red lipstick stain, "You're not going to get rid of me that easily, Damon. It's a big city, lots of people. I figured we could share."

"And why would I want to do that?" I demand. Though I don't want to admit it my curiosity is peaked. Why is she here? Diana's right, the city is big. She could have blended right into the crowd, not having to speak to me at all. Why expose herself like this?

The blonde vampire gives me a cruel smile, leaning forward so her lips are even with my ear, "Because, you love me Damon, and you just can't let me get away."

Diana falls into bed next to me, letting out a long sigh. I bet she never expected this when she decided to return to Mystic Falls. If I weren't so selfish I'd tell her to go, to run away again so she didn't have to deal with the mess Stefan and I have gotten ourselves into. I just can't let her go. Diana, despite her flaws, has always been there when I needed her. She belongs here, in bed next to me, wrapped up in my arms, her head on my chest, my fingers working over the ink that covers her right thigh. It's been this way since the very beginning. Fighting it is useless.

"I have to help Carol with the set up for the Masquerade Ball today," Diana says lazily as she rolls over onto her stomach. Her fingers begin to trace the vein that runs through my neck.

I grimace. Since all the drama with Katherine started, Diana and I have hardly had any time for ourselves. I was hoping to get to spend the day with her. "That sounds less than exciting. Care to just stay here?"

This gets a laugh, Diana kissing my nose before sitting up. "Unfortunately not, but you can take me to the ball, dance with me until the wee hours of the morning. We can forget all the trouble we've gotten ourselves in for a night."