Dance With Me

Dance with me, I want to be your partner
Can't you see the music is just starting?
Night is falling, and I am falling

"Oh God, I shouldn't be here," Stefan huffs as we enter into a large hallway. There is an ornate carpet rolled down the entryway. A big round table with a large vase of flowers on it sits smack in the middle of the room. Whoever decorated this place has absolutely no sense of style. I would feel like I've stepped back into the 18 – hundreds if it wasn't for the short, modern dresses and casual conversations. 

"Come on, don't be a downer. It's a party for the founding families! That would be us. It would be rude to skip it," Damon answers, waving to someone across the room.

"You know, I really liked you a lot better when you hated everyone," Stefan answers back with a slight smile. He's leading us toward the drink table. What the hell is wrong with him?

"Oh, I still do," Damon answers with a sly smirk as he pours all three of us drinks. "I just love that they love me."

"Absolutely nothing has changed," I muse, watching the party guests greeting each other as I bring the glass Damon has handed me to my lips. A red lipstick mark is left behind.

Damon ignores me, turning to his brother, "How are you feeling?"

"Are you really going to ignore me the whole time I'm here, Damon?" I question, letting a whine come into my tone. Damon hates it when I get whiny and will do just about anything to get me to stop. I just want him to give me a chance to prove that this time around things are going to be different. I'm not running. I'm not just going to disappear again.

"That's the plan," the dark haired man answer, not even so much as glancing in my direction.

"I'm fine," Stefan answers his brother's question as he pours himself another drink, downing it quickly.

"No cravings? No urges? Is that Whiskey you've been drinking all day doing the trick?" Damon jeers, obviously enjoying Stefan's discomfort. I wish I knew what happened.

Stefan lets out a nervous laugh, his eyes scanning over the ever-increasing amount of people in the room as he spins his glass around in his hands. I gently place my hand on his elbow, giving my friend a questioning look. Lust filled brown eyes meet mine, but nonetheless, Stefan gives me a smile, trying to silently tell me that everything really is fine. I'm not buying it for a second, but if Stefan wants to keep secrets there is nothing I can do about it. I'll try and get him to open up again later. Maybe if he knows that Damon is out of earshot he'll be more willing to admit that he's in trouble.

"We are who we are, Stefan. Nothings gonna change that," Damon continues as Katherine's doppelganger walks through the door. Eyes instantly turn to her. She smiles politely, waving when appropriate. I've got to give it to her; she is strikingly beautiful. Then again, so was Katherine, and she turned out to be a right bitch.

"Well, I'm going to go meet up with Elena," Stefan says before setting down his glass and disappearing into the crowd. This leaves Damon and I alone.

"What's wrong with Stefan?" I question, turning to look Damon in the eyes. He's not getting out of telling me this. His brother is obviously not all right. If Stefan's condition could potentially affect me staying in Mystic Falls I have a right to know about it.

Damon shrugs, "He had a little incident and may or may not have had some human blood. He's having a few issues re-adjusting to his normal diet. Not that it's any of your business."

"Damon, Stefan is family to me. I care about him. If he's in trouble maybe I can help."

Damon frowns, "No one here wants your help, Diana."