Chapter 37: Struggling Serpent

Start from the beginning

"How much is a hundred and twenty-seconds?" She asked.

"Two minutes."

"Paaapii." She laughed

"Please, mamas, just give me a minute," Owen told her. "Watch SpongeBob."

"Fiiiine," she said, dragging out the word. "One minute."

I laughed and could hear Owen sighing. "She's adorable," I told him.

"She's a monster in disguise," he said, making me laugh. "I, uh, I wanted to talk to you about yesterday."

"I know, I know. I'm so sorry. I feel extremely embarrassed." I shook my head, sliding my hand down my face. I crinkled my nose when I could feel my makeup on my face. I hated sleeping in makeup.

"It's okay. It's just... the changing your clothes part—"

"I know, I know. I'm so sorry you had to do that." I cringed my face in embarrassment.

"I didn't mind. Like I told you, I do it for my girls, and my girlfriend when she's drunk, but, if that was some complete, sick motherfucker, he could have taken advantage of you. Most likely would have. I just want you to know that not everyone is going to do what I did and not take advantage of you."

I nodded, realizing that I was very lucky to not have that happen to me.

"So... do you understand how terribly wrong that could have gone?" Owen asked.

"I do, I know. Thank you for not taking advantage of me," I told him.

"You shouldn't have to thank me, Mae. I would never do that. No one should. I would probably murder whoever did that to my girls," Owen said, and I could picture him shaking his head. "That's one of the things I don't know how to prevent from my kids. I know I can't shelter them in or else I would." He laughed. "It's what my mom did with my sister, and she ended up being wild."

"Yeah, I get what you mean. It's scary to think that we can't protect our kids from everything."

"For real. I'm probably gonna lock my kids in a tower like Rapunzel. She came out fine," he joked, and I laughed but regretted it when my head started pounding.

"Ugh, I'm never drinking again." I groaned

"Drink some 7-up, and eat some soup," he told me. "Usually makes me feel better."

"Sounds good," I said, and he chuckled.

"Just remember to not let anyone change you when you're hella drunk. Even a boyfriend could take advantage of you. They think, 'Well, that's my girlfriend. I could have sex with her if I want.' But that's not true. Consent is needed even in a relationship. If you don't want to, don't. Never feel obligated to do something you don't want to do," Owen told me, and I nodded my head understanding. 

"I won't," I promised, not only to him but to myself as well. 

"It's been more than one minute!" His daughter shouted from the distance.

"I should go," Owen laughed. "I hope you feel better and heed what I told you."

"I will, and I did." I nodded. "Bye."

"Bye-bye," he said and hung up.

After a much-needed bath, I got out and dressed in a hoodie and sweat pants. I could definitely feel the weather change today. What was I thinking not wanting bottoms to sleep in last night? I laid back in my bed because I was still too hungover to function. I fell back asleep, waking up again around twelve, only to feel nauseous but not enough to feel like I was going to throw up.