Chapter 9: Almost Over

Zoey broke into tears again "I know he would do something like this." "What are you talking about?" Nicky asked. "Mat heard about the Tiger that was terrorizing this area. So he planned a trip to come here and help the people. He was planning to come alone, then I found out he was coming here I insisted I come with him. Eventually, you guys found out and wanted to come as well. So he called ahead and booked the best hotel on the island. That's why he wrote that note to me for my birthday." Zoey explained. Zoey's eyes started to tear up again. Jullie went to sit next to her.

"Why didn't you try to stop him?" Nicky asked.  "I did but he wouldn't listen to me," Zoey replied as tears fell from her eyes. Jullie handed Zoey a tissue. she took the tissue and blew her nose into it. "Thank you," she said wiping the tears from her eyes. Jullie smiled "you're welcome."  "This is the thing he gave me," Zoey said pulling out a small box. The box was still in it's wrapping paper. "I wanted to open this while I was in his arms," she said. Jullie put her arms around Zoey. "Open it, let us see what Mat got you," Jessica told Zoey. She unwrapped the paper and opened the box. In the box was a beautiful Ocean Oasis ring.

Zoey almost dropped both the box and the ring

Zoey almost dropped both the box and the ring. Chelsea quickly put her hands under Zoey's. Tears fell from Zoey's eyes "I wish he was here." "We all do," Jullie said. Zoey put the ring on "I saw this ring two years ago on Christians." Zoey kissed the ring "he must have bought it after I left the store with my mom." "Look there's something ells in the box" Nate pointed out. "What is it?" Hector asked. "Let me see?" Zoey said. Nate handed the folded sheet of paper. Zoey unfolded the paper.

"Um Zoey, Why did mat get you a blank sheet of paper?" Jullie asked. Ignoring Jullie's question Zoey reached for his suitcase. Zoey takes a black light out "Mat said I'd need this." "Turn off the light," she told them. Once the lights were off Zoey shined the light on the sheet of paper. At the top of the page, it said to read somewhere privet. Zoey looked up "I'll be back" "What's it say?" Jessica asked. Zoey didn't answer, instead, she went into the bathroom and locked the door behind her. 

Chris turned on the light back on. Zoey came out of the bathroom ten minutes later. "So what did it say?" Chris asked.  Zoey stopped and looked at Chris for a while. She rubbed the tears from her eyes then left the room without a word. "What do you think that was about?" Nate asked. Everyone went silent for a couple seconds. "Stop her," Nicky said. Jullie jumped off the bed and ran out the door after Zoey. Jullie was able to catch up with Zoey in the parking lot. 

"What are you doing?" Jullie asked. "I'm going to find him"Zoey replied. "Again, if you couldn't find him the first time what makes you can find now" Jullie protested. "Well, I..." Zoey started. "Well what, You just think just because he writes you a message in invisible ink he's still alive" Jullie interrupted. Zoey didn't answer. "Are you just going to stand there or are you going to answer me?" Jullie asked. Zoey turned her back to Jullie "I've known you since elementary school, I thought if anybody understood you did" Zoey replied.

Jullie didn't say anything. "I guess I was wrong," Zoey said as she walked away.  "Zoey wait," said. Zoey stopped "what?" Jullie handed Zoey a thick jacket "take this, it might get cold. Zoey took the jacket "Thank you." Jullie watched as Zoey ran off into the night. Jullie rejoined the others in the hotel room. "Did you catch her?" Jessica asked. Jullie paused before answering "No." Nate stood up "Jullie can I talk to you for a sec?" he asked. The two went out into the hall.

 "What did you want to talk about?" she asked. Nate closed the room door "you lier." "What.?" "You caught up to Zoey but you still let her go," he said crossing his arms. "How'd you know?" she asked. I"m your brother, it's my job to know" he replied. "Yes I caught up to her and yes I let her go," she told him."I just hope Zoey is okay," he said. The two enter the room. Zoey was out all night searching for Mat, Just like last time she ended up at the foot of the mountain. 

She hesitated before taking another step. A chilling wind blew down the mountain towards her. It was as if she heard the wind whisper "turn back." Zoey looked up the mountain and smiled "I knew you were still looking out for me," she started. "My Guardian Angle Mathew Peters" she continued. With a smile on her face, she walked back to the hotel.  Instead of going back into the hotel she spent the rest of the night in the car. The jacket Jullie gave her had the keys to the van in the inside pocket.