Nightmare

Star wakes up in the middle of the night screaming. Mr and Mrs Diaz wake up and immediately go to her room. Marco follows quickly behind them, getting out of his bed and exiting his room. But he keeps his distance due to his parents' concern for Star.

They go into her tower to find her awake in her bed. She's shaking heavily with tears in her eyes. Star clutches her wand to maintain a safe feeling of security.

Marco's parents don't crowd her but approach her slowly. Star doesn't look up. She just keeps sitting on her bed mumbling to herself. She starts to cry even more. Marco thinks her wand is about to break because of how hard she's gripping it.

Marco is in the doorway of her room. His heart is breaking for his friend. Ever since the big castle storm against Toffee, she's been having bad dreams. But this time...it was different...it was getting worse. He blames himself for this. After all...he was the one who got captured.

Marco couldn't take much more of this. He begins to walk in slowly. His parents signal him to back up but he doesn't listen and continues to walk towards her.

Star looks up slightly and sees Marco. She starts crying even harder, still mumbling somethings that he couldn't quite hear.

Marco's shocked. He didn't know how bad it's gotten. She's pale, bags are under her eyes, tears rolling down her face.

She's been trying not to fall asleep, terrified of what dreams she will have. This must be the reason why.

Marco's parents begin to back away slowly. They can tell that Star really trusts Marco.

Marco approaches Star with hesitation and gets closer and closer, until he is sitting next to her on her bed. Star doesn't look up from her trance.

"Star?" Marco whispers.

She looks at him and manages to choke out "you're ok?"

"I'm fine star...I'm right here." He says and pulls her in for a hug. It wasn't like their normal hugs. This one was meant to say so many things, but it only needed to say 'I'm here.' And that's exactly what it did.

She starts gripping onto Marcos shirt, holding on for her life. Her head is buried in Marco's shoulder. "He got you!" She yells. "I wasn't there! I wasn't quick enough! I let you down! And you...you...were gone..."

Mr and Mrs Diaz look at each other in agony. They back up further, having faith in their son to say what Star needs to hear right now.

"That's not true." He whispers, holding her tight while trying not to cry. "You were there just in time. You saved me star. You always will. I'm right here. I'm not leaving you anytime soon."

She hears this and begins to settle. They don't dare to loosen their grip on each other. It's as if if they let go, the other will disappear. "I'm right here." He keeps whispering to her. "I'm alright." He says trying to get a glimpse at her. "You're ok." He pulls away just enough to see the side of her face. She's asleep.

He puts her down, back in her bed, and pulls up her blanket over her. His parents smile at him, proud of what a good friend he is. They are about to walk out, thinking that Marco will follow them and head back to his bed, but he doesn't leave Star's room.

Marco pulls up a chair from Star's desk and sits right next to her, on the side of her bed. He's not leaving her. What if she wakes up again and she needs him? What if she starts to cry again? There are too many what if's...he's not going to risk it...

His parents see this, and leave the room. "We did good." Mrs Diaz says to her husband.

Marco wipes Star's tears from her wet cheeks. "I'm not going anywhere."