Chapter 14: Plight

Many words described the events that took place the other day; successful was not one of them.

Persephone 

Persephone had worked with Tessa and Scott for many years. Had she been asked what she predicted Marina to be capable of, treachery would be one. However, Marina's schemes knew no bounds, and even Persephone was unsure of how to predict her next move. 

Yesterday, Marina had taken to live television to expose Tessa and Scott's "secret relationship." Today, the internet was littered with theories about their steamy bond. She found it ironic that Tessa had been most concerned about raging fans who felt blindsided by their tryst. Instead, spectators were intrigued by their rendezvous, with some alluding the suggestive nature of their most recent performances to their private life. Tessa had always tried to disregard the interpretations of her and Scott's liaison, and the current situation would only elevate her indignation. Persephone was for the first time in her career, uncertain about how to broach the matter to the couple. The troubles that lay ahead of them were grim, and she knew the possible consequences of what she would do. That would not stop her. 

...

"You called?" Scott asked her. 

The distress in his voice was distinct. Rarely had she ever discussed matters with Scott alone, but she was trying to preserve their merriment for as long as she could. 

"How is Tessa holding up?" She invited. 

Don't break him. 

"Not well." He shook his head, "I thought this is what she wanted. I don't know what to do, Persephone."

She wouldn't lie to him, but she could not give him the comfort he sought. Scott was an optimist, but this world was undeserving of his vulnerability. Even after life had tried him, he remained hopeful of a better future. Her job wasn't to gift that to him, it was to secure his and Tessa's potential. 

"Scott...", she began, "Before I can explain anything to you, I think you need to see this." 

His muscles relaxed, as he read the reactions from fans on Twitter. 

@Ifrah1D : "Thank you, Tessa and Scott, for proving to us that no two people will ever be able to capture love like you. Here's to the most decorated ice dancing pair (and ship) we've seen. You warm Canadian hearts everywhere."

The tweet was followed by many others that rejoiced in the announcement that their favourite duo were romantically involved. 

Returning her phone, Scott beamed. And when Scott Moir smiled, it was infectious. It was moments like these that reminded Persephone of why she tackled such a challenging industry. 

"They really do love you." She poked at him. 

Scott looked sheepish, "And we love them."

...

By the time Persephone had reviewed the interviews with Scott, the night had begun to fall. 

"Tessa won't take any of this well." He finally said. 

"You don't need to tell her immediately. Marina leaves us all speechless, but your supporters are unshaken by her words. The only people who feel betrayed by the two of you are the media, not the public. Tessa's concerns are invalid here," she insisted. 

"But that won't stop her from having those concerns."

"No, but that's why you need to make this call."

...

Later that night, Tessa and Scott dialed the one person who had seen them at their worst: Dr. Qureshi. 

---

And the game continues. Thoughts on what may have happened with Dr. Qureshi? If you're interested in having one of your tweets mentioned in the story, please privately message me the link so I can overview it. Thank you for reading, and as always, feel free to discuss anything here. 

Twitter: twitter.com/CelestialHolmes