Chapter 6: Continuity

Scott

Moments earlier...

"You sure this is a good idea?"

Patrick "Chiddy" Chan had bumped into him as he frantically tried to plan a dinner experience for Tessa. Chiddy was one of his closest friends after Tessa. They both represented Canada in figure skating, and socialised together in their spare time, if they had any. Years ago, Chiddy had once tried to ask Tessa out, but after watching her interact with Scott, he soon realised that he may have been intruding on something special between them. After Scott finally forgave him, they became significantly closer, and he was the only Canadian athlete they were open to about their relationship.

Tessa Virtue was the most punctual woman Scott had ever encountered, but when she talked to Mother Virtue, time stood still. The bond between them was inseparable, but Kate welcomed him into the family like an adopted son they did not birth but loved all the same. While he was tremendously grateful to Mother Virtue for her support - for Tessa and him - he worried about how hurting Tessa would affect her family. 

And Scott Moir could not lie. He was emotional, somewhat predictable, but also clumsy with his love. If Tessa was a bird, he wanted her to fly, but was afraid that he caged her sometimes. Or that he injured her wings. His anger had subdued over the years, but that was only because wounding Tessa was self-deprecating. Exhausting. And he felt helpless sometimes trying to guard his feelings from her. Tessa could read him like a book, and she was a very quick reader. Probably faster than him. She understood him better than he could himself, and the thought still terrified him. He couldn't imagine his life without her, but he couldn't hurt her. His love was overpowering, and he just needed a  quick-fix to make things okay. 

Chiddy had been reading the Twitter feed on #VirtueMoir, and fans suggested many romantic gestures for Scott after their win. He hadn't done any of them. Him and Tessa hadn't celebrated how monumental PyeongChang was for them. How much it changed things. They thought it would all stay the same, he needed to prove that they wouldn't. 

---

Tessa

She panicked, as Scott's cellphone went to voicemail. What was happening? As she dashed to their suite, she passed Chiddy. 

"Hey Tessa, congratulations on the gold medal! I knew you could do it."

"Thank you, Patrick! We really should do something together, all of us."

"With Scott, yes, I'd love to. We haven't really seen South Korea, I'm always up for an adventure."

"That sounds great, anything to get away from here."

Chiddy blinked at her, confused. "Hey, I have to be somewhere right now, but can I give you a call when I'm free? I'm here if you need to talk to someone, okay?"

Did she look that upset? "You know me so well. Thank you so much for all of your support, you really are a great friend. Talk to you later!" 

Chiddy waved as he briskly walked past her. Unsure of how to proceed, she approached the suite door to find a note. 

T, close your eyes and count to 10. -SM

---

What do you think happened to Scott? Let me know your thoughts, and of course, thank you for reading! There's yet much more to this story, but then again, Tessa and Scott are infinite.

Twitter: twitter.com/CelestialHolmes