Chapter 3: Fortune

Scott's eyes lit up, as he smiled at Persephone. 

"What?" Tessa muttered. 

Tessa was generally soft-spoken, but Scott had rarely heard her speak in this manner. She sounded like she had been offered poison, and the last time she had reacted this way was during their first couple's therapy session. It was after Tessa's first surgery, and he shuddered at the way he had treated her. He had vowed to himself that he would never hurt her like that again, and yet he had messed it up again. 

Persephone nodded at Scott before she began to explain, "The magic of your performance stems from your personal connection with one another. Audiences have waited years to hear your story. It's about time you answered them. Think of it as a new beginning, you can start all over with them." 

Tessa shook her head, "What Scott and I have is - so sacred. The expectation that comes with such an announcement...I don't think we have the time to handle that." 

Scott took her hands, "Are you afraid that we couldn't make it?"

"No, I just want to be taken seriously for what we've nurtured together in this business."

"And we have been taken seriously. But there comes a time where we ought to live for ourselves as well. This career isn't everything, Tessa. It's already over." 

"I just don't want to think about what's next." 

"With me, or with skating?"

"Skating, obviously. We know what we have."

"Do we, Tessa? Sometimes I'm not so sure."

"What do you mean?"

"You sound afraid of me, sometimes. I wonder if I meet your expectations."

Tessa curled her fingers around Scott's, "Scott, you are perfect. This isn't about you. It's about where we go from here with our careers. It's about what we have to do."

"But we're doing that together, why can't we discuss that?"

"I'm worried our supporters will feel betrayed."

"And they have been. That's why we need to make things right."

Persephone looked pleased. Tessa was seen by fans as the one who was collected and organised, but Scott was one to reason. He listened to what their fans wanted to see, and he openly communicated that to Tessa. Reluctantly, Tessa agreed with the plan. 

----

Hello there! I hope you've enjoyed reading this story thus far. There's plenty more of Tessa and Scott to come. Please do let me know what you think, if you have any predictions, and any general thoughts about Virtue Moir. Thank you for reading!

Twitter: twitter.com/CelestialHolmes