Chapter 10

EMERSON FINDLAY

As soon as I was out, the door slammed shut on my back. My nostrils were now filled with the scent of the wet earth and my ears were deafened by the sounds of loud thunders and rumbling of the clouds.

I slowly carried myself away from the brick and cement structure, down the sidewalk. Some people around me were running off in different directions to get some shelter. I didn't even know where I was going as my legs carried me on their own accord.

Before I knew it, I had stopped in front of what looked like a park. Soon, the water droplets started pouring all over and around me. Within a minute, I was completely drenched. I didn't even know why but, I walked in through the gate and put my bag near a bench and sat myself down on it. I took off my glasses and put them in my handbag as I sat there and stared into the distance.

It was for the first time that I felt hollow, empty, and numb. There was nothing inside me that stirred. By now, I had accepted it. I was not meant to be loved and cherished. I was just meant to be used and thrown to be picked up by someone else and be used again.

I was too scarred for being precious to someone. All my life, whoever came close to me, left me. By now, I shouldn't even be blaming anyone. Because I had realized that it was just me. I was just like this rainwater pouring down; pushed away by everyone.

The clouds threw it down, and the people ran away from it only to be absorbed by the rivers and lakes, then be sent back to the clouds. A never-ending cycle of passing onto each other.

I sighed but was soon brought out of my thoughts as I heard a deep voice beside me, "What a great pastime you have found here."

ADRIAN RUTHERFORD

It was a very crappy day. Scrap that, who was I kidding, this entire week had been totally full of shit. It was entirely my fault. I should have better known how much she hated talking about her past and shouldn't have made her feel exposed by telling her I knew everything.

Although now, I highly doubted that it was the entire truth, I let it slide. She had been avoiding me as if I was a very annoying salesman following her to sell my product.

Wow, look at that shitty metaphor you just made you asshat, my inner self mused. Right now, I was sitting in the backseat of my car as Tyler; my driver was taking me back home after so many days. It had become a habit of mine to stay in my office whenever I had loads of extra work.

And that happened a lot this entire week. I pinched the bridge of my nose. I really had to call Sheila up and ask her when her honeymoon would be over.

Outside, it was raining cats and dogs. Not a single living soul could be seen. Of course, no one would dare to. As we crossed a park in a locality, I noticed a very familiar brunette sitting on a bench very near the entrance.

I frowned as I ordered Tyler to stop the car. He gave me a very confused look. As I was about to step out of the car, he handed me an umbrella. I just glared at him and stepped out without it. I hissed as the steady rain hit my head.

Soon, I reached the bench and sat beside her. She hadn't even noticed my presence yet.

So, I decided to make my presence noticed, "What a great pastime you have found here."

She looked a little startled. She gave me a brief glance and continued staring into the distance. I slowly touched her arm and she flinched a little.

"What is the matter? What are you doing over here at this time?" I frowned.

She shook her head, "Nothing. I just wanted to have a walk in the park."

I raised a brow in amusement. I wanted to laugh at her face for her great excuse but, seeing her face, it didn't look like a good time to do so.

"A walk in the park when it is raining? Wow! I need advice from you on how to live my life better." I mused.

She didn't even look at me, as if she was trying to ignore my presence. Her mood was really sore. So, I decided to ask her what the matter was.

"Hey, what happened? Why are you out here in the rain with your bags packed like this?"

I did notice her bag near the bench. I was frowning when she gave me a very surprised look. She looked away and sighed. I could sense that she was annoyed by my presence and pestering me, but I couldn't help it.

She had been avoiding me for a week and it had been too hard on me. I was very snappy.

And so out of my mind that when I tried to add some sugar to my coffee, I added salt in its place. If she didn't want to talk about her past, I wouldn't even utter a word but, her ignoring me was the worst form of all torture, and that too after three long years. After a long silence of what seemed like hours, she finally talked.

"I got kicked out of the place I lived." I had to admit, I was confused.

"Didn't you own the place you lived in?" I asked.

She scoffed and shook her head but didn't say anything. Now, I was completely serious. I stood up and held out my hand for her.

"Come on," I said.

"Wha-" She tried to splutter something but, I didn't wait for it as I pulled her hand, causing her to stand up.

With my free hand, I took her bag and dragged both of them toward my car. As soon as Tyler saw us approaching, he got out of the car and instinctively opened the trunk. I put her bag with the handbag and then, opened the backseat door.

She slid in without a word and I followed suit. There was an ocean full of space between us literally as water had seeped out of our clothes and onto the leather seats. She just passively stared out of the window as I did the same to her face.

The faint light of streetlights was able to seep in through the rain and illuminated her face along with the shadows of water droplets on the window. It made her look even more intriguing. She was lost, gone somewhere far beyond my reach and that saddened me.

I sighed and was about to turn away when I heard a soft sob. She was crying. She was actually having a breakdown after sitting so long in the car.

I forgot all common sense as I closed the gap between us and engulfed her in my arms. Before I knew it, she was on my lap and sobbing uncontrollably.

I quietly rubbed my palm on her back. Her body was shaking frenziedly. Her face was on my shoulder and both her hands were holding my arms.

"It's okay."

"I know you are hurt."

"Shush, shush. Everything will be fine." I tried to soothe her. We had reached a long time ago but I did not tell her. I signalled Tyler to take her bags up to my floor.

After more than forty minutes, I was sure that she had stopped shaking. I tried to look at her face and realized that she had fallen asleep. I got out of the car and then picked her up by putting one hand around her shoulders and the other under her knees.

We got into the building and I glanced at the girl at the front desk to catch her staring at me. She quickly averted her eyes. I got into the elevator and we rode up to the top floor and into my penthouse.

I put her down on the bed in the room next to me as I went down to the kitchen. I did not want to wake her up but it was important for her to have something, I thought. I was as positive as I was about it being the night that she did not have anything for dinner.

Hiiiii I'm so happy I'm back. Sorry for keeping you waiting. Hope you liked it.

Anyways, vote and comment coz I have nothing more to ramble about..

xoxo
vvithlani