002. ALEA IACTA EST

CHAPTER TWO
the die has been cast

       RHEA HEL HAD BEEN DATING SILAS PARKINSON FOR A LITTLE OVER A MONTH

       RHEA HEL HAD BEEN DATING SILAS PARKINSON FOR A LITTLE OVER A MONTH. Silas showered her with love and attention to the point that Rhea thought he was nearly obsessed with her. Davina liked to joke that Silas would harm anyone who came close to her, and it was for this reason that Rhea kept Silas around when she first noticed his affections for her. Walburga would jokingly wonder whether Rhea had slipped him a love potion and sometimes Rhea's wondered the same thing herself. She had Silas Parkinson wrapped around her finger and she'd keep him there until she grew tired of having him around.

But, for now, Silas pressed a soft kiss on her jaw that she pretended to enjoy as she walked to the library where she would be meeting Tom Riddle for their very first tutoring session in half an hour. Rhea decided to arrive at the library early to do research on and find out who Tom Riddle was. She didn't know much about him because she had never cared to. He hadn't bothered her before now and, as far she knew, he didn't come from an important family, so Rhea never paid much attention to him.

Who was his family? Where did he come from? These questions had plagued her mind since she first spoke to Tom two days prior. She had yet to tell Silas about her new tutor and she doubted she would. She couldn't speak to a member of the opposite sex without Silas getting tense and annoying. The only reason she put up with it was because she wanted to allow him to think he had the upper hand in their relationship. Rhea knew that weak men, like Silas, always needed to be reminded that they were in power.

"Why can't I come study with you?" Silas whined when they stopped outside the library. He kissed her once more, this time on the lips soft and slow. Silas hadn't been her first kiss but Rhea liked for him to believe that he was. She had a feeling that he'd react poorly if he knew he hadn't been. Silas was always soft and slow and she got no gratification or satisfaction from kissing him. It felt more like a chore than anything else but Rhea sometimes thought that had more to do with her than them.

No matter what she did, she couldn't feel anything. There was a large void in her soul that had grown wider and wider over the years. It fed off of her like a parasite and, sometimes it was unbearable. She knew that it was the reason why her mother, Caliope Hel, had held such contempt for her, but it had also been the reason her father doted on her so. She had gotten good at hiding her lack of emotion from others. In fact, Rhea had become so skilled in the art of deception that she sometimes would forget which parts of her were real and which parts weren't.  Silas was a good distraction from the numbness in her but she'd grow bored of him eventually, she always did.

"I need some alone time but I'll come find you when I'm done. Promise." Rhea said with a smile. She pressed a kiss to the corner of Silas's mouth, tired of the public displays of affection, and spun on her heel to walk inside the library.

She passed Astrea Ravenswood, a pureblood girl that hung around Tom Riddle and his gang. Astrea was a Ravenclaw who had begun hanging around Tom during first year and she had developed a painfully obvious crush on him. Unbeknownst to Astrea, Rhea also knew that the girl was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin and Rowena Ravenclaw through Hecate Ravenclaw, the forgotten daughter as she was known amongst the few that spoke her name. What most didn't know, however, was that Hecate had been a dark witch so powerful she could put the Hel's to shame. Ultimately, she died an untimely death but Rhea remembered how her mother had practically worshipped the woman — she used to always say that Hecate Ravenclaw was one of the greatest witches of all time. Rhea didn't think it was fair that someone like Astrea Ravenswood — who was so shy and who cowered in the presence of a boy just because she had a crush on him even though she had the potential to be more powerful than everyone at this school — could be gifted with such power and take it for granted.