TWENTY THREE

CHAPTER 23
THE L-WORD

CHAPTER 23THE L-WORD

THE majority of the wolf pack in the room made it their duty to sprint out of Emily's house at a moment's notice. As soon as Margo's question hung in the air, they were gone. Jared and Embry were out first, almost tripping over their feet because of their slip-up. Margo watched them with a confusion expression, before her eyes settled on Sam, who was shrugging lazily. "I'm sure Emily can explain a great deal," he answered and strode out of the house to rile up his pack members.

Margo scoffed, turning to Emily as she sat down beside her at the table. "Why did they all run away when I mentioned imprinting?" She asked, beginning to pick at the muffin's leftovers on her plate. "Is it that much of a big deal?"

Emily's eyes shifted. "Well," she paused, "yes. It really is a big deal."

Margo furrowed her brow, allowing Emily to continue with her definition. "Imprinting is ... well, it's this psychological mechanism that happens when the Quileute wolves find their soul mates. To put it lightly."

She blinked quickly. A soul mate? Margo was only seventeen, and as much as she cared about Jacob, she felt as if she didn't have enough experiences to find a soul mate. "That's lightly to you?" Margo felt like she was going to choke on the piece of muffin she placed in her mouth. The taste of blueberries was suddenly so foreign to her.

"Do you want a longer version?" Emily raised her brow, and Margo nodded. "From what Sam's told me – when a shape-shifter imprints on a specific female, he becomes unconditionally bound to her for the rest of his life. No matter what age. There's no specifications. It usually occurs when he sees his imprintee after the first phasing." She sighed longingly. "Everything else in his life becomes secondary, and only the imprintee is left to matter. And their most important law, above all, is that no wolf may harm or kill a fellow wolf's imprint – no exceptions."

Margo felt her chest flare up with heat, and she rubbed at it gently. She leaned back in her seat. She almost felt overwhelmed about the matter, but she refused to express this, in fear she would insulting. This was a lot to take in at her age, and she couldn't even imagine how Jacob was feeling.

"It seems kind of convenient that Jacob imprinted on me after we were already dating," Margo muttered with a hint of bitterness. "Does imprinting pertain to past personal feelings?"

Emily shook her head, allowing Margo to get another look at her scar. She felt a pang of guilt afterwards, knowing that she disobeyed one of Sam's rules. "Maybe fate had brought you two together before the imprinting," Emily suggested with a smile.

"Doubt that," she replied, before releasing a sigh. "I know I may seem unconcerned about this, but ... god, this is just a lot. I haven't even been here an hour."

Emily chuckled softly, placing her hand on Margo's. The brunette looked up and met Emily's kind eyes, knowing that she could sense her nerves. "Jacob has told us that you're very smart," she began, "so I'm guessing that you would also like another reason to why this all happens?"