FIVE

CHAPTER 5
COMPOST IS COOL

"DO you need anything else?"

Jenny Fowler shook her head and sent a warm smile towards their waitress at Sully's. Her niece, Margo, sat to her left, chowing down on a bacon burger. Margo was trying to eat healthier, but she hadn't been to Sully's in a long time, due to her aunt's conflicting shifts. She was going to eat this greasy bacon burger and she was going to enjoy it. Jenny gave her a look as she bit into a wedge of lettuce from her salad.

"Forgot to ask you this morning — do you have a fact of the day?" She asked.

The dark-haired niece nodded. "Out of all the planets in the solar system, Venus has the longest day. It completes one rotation every 243 Earth days and it's day lasts longer than the orbit."

Jenny widened her eyes at the fun fact as Margo continued to eat her burger. She decided to change the subject. "What happened to your classmate was awful. Wrong place at the wrong time," Jenny hummed. "Thankfully, she's okay. Just a few bruises and a scratch."

Margo wiped her mouth with the edge of her sleeve. "The car only hit her truck. How did she survive that?"

Jenny shrugged. "She was mumbling something to her dad about some guy saving her. I think she meant it to be Doctor Cullen's son, but he said she might've just been imagining it from post-traumatic stress."

"Weird," Margo murmured, taking another bite into her burger. "Something is off about Forks lately. Maybe I should become an investigator."

"Please, Courtney will allow you to become anything you want. That's what big brains do." Jenny replied with a chuckle. She took a sip of her iced tea before saying, "Carlisle said he saw you out in the waiting room. Says we came from a beautiful family."

"Oh, and I bet you swooned over that."

Jenny lightly tapped her niece's arm and shushed her. "Do you talk to his children?"

Margo furrowed her brow. "No, they only talk with each other. I have biology with Edward Cullen though." An invisible light bulb dawned above her head then, and Margo quickly pulled out a paper from her bag next to her seat. She slid the paper across the table to her aunt. "Speaking of biology, here's a permission slip. Mr. Molina wants to take us on a field trip this week."

"In biology?" Jenny asked with a bewildered expression, to which Margo nodded. She unfolded to paper and read it over. "You're going to a greenhouse to study compost."

Margo glanced to her aunt, noticing the deadpanned look she was giving off. "Why are you looking at me like that? It sounds interesting!"

"Are you sure you don't just want to stay home?"