THREE

CHAPTER 3
BAD B.O.

MARGO tended to sit directly in front during her biology class, so she could be right in center of everything

MARGO tended to sit directly in front during her biology class, so she could be right in center of everything. Mr. Molina admired her optimism, she hoped. At the beginning of junior year, she sat in front but farther left, with Edward Cullen as her lab partner. But that first day must've been incredibly bad for him, because he glared at her with an obscene amount of disgust in his eyes. That stare alone made Margo never sit near him again. Instead, she now sat in the center with no lab partner, but she was better on her own.

Two minutes before class was supposed to start, Mike Newton strode in, introducing Isabella Swan to Mr. Molina. He passed by Margo's desk as he cleared his throat, and she scowled at him while he rounded the corner. Once he was away, her eyes landed on Edward Cullen in the next desk, and she sent him an awkward smile. Today must have been another bad day for Edward, seeing as he had a look that screamed, murder.

Eventually, Margo did a double-take at him. She never really looked at the bronzed-hair boy a lot, but when she did this time, she felt confused. Margo always thought his eyes were a subtle shade of gold, much like her own hazel ones. But his eyes today matched how they looked their first day in September: black. Maybe his eyes just changed in different lights. Sometimes people said her eyes looked green in the sunlight, and someone with hues of gold would probably grow pretty dark in the dimly lit classroom they were in now.

Bella handed Mr. Molina a paper, that Margo guessed contained her current grades in biology and other science classes. Margo leaned her chin on her fist, wishing Melinda was in this class so she could talk to her. She watched Bella cautiously lift a piece of hair to her nose and smell it, causing Margo's brow to furrow. From the corner of her eye, she saw Edward Cullen cover his mouth and look away.

"Today we're going to be observing the behaviors of planaria," Mr. Molina explained, "A.K.A. flatworms." He placed a few vials on each lab desk.

Edward still had his hand on his mouth as he pushed a vial over to Bella. Margo watched the exchange with confusion, but quickly looked away when Edward glared at her. This lasted throughout the whole class. Margo could just see it from the corner of her eye, and she felt Bella Swan's uncomfortableness just waft off her like smoke. The whole class was eerily quiet today.

There was five minutes left of class when Edward suddenly walked out. Margo had been writing down notes so fast that she almost didn't notice. When his chair skidded and his boots squeaked against the floor, she lifted her head, watching him strut out the classroom. Mr. Molina hadn't even noticed as he was sketching something out on the white board. Bella was closing her textbook as the bell rang.

Thankfully, that bell meant it was the end of the school day. Margo packed her textbook in her bag and said her goodbyes to Mr. Molina before exiting the classroom. She strode across the hall to the student affairs office and approached Mrs. Dooley at the front desk.