ONE

CHAPTER 1
FUN FACTS

WHEN Margo Richards moved to Forks, Washington in 2003, she was the first new person to come to Forks high school in years

WHEN Margo Richards moved to Forks, Washington in 2003, she was the first new person to come to Forks high school in years. A new kid hadn't moved in for "who knows how long," said one of the neighbors, let alone a kid with as big of a brain as Margo. She wasn't even supposed to be in the ninth grade when she arrived at Forks high; she should've been sent back to the middle school. But her and her big brain – that she named, Courtney – were awarded with the opportunity to stay in a grade above, seeing as she excelled in most test scores and could keep up with the pace of high school. Margo Richards never had a problem.

But, if she were being honest: Forks sucked. It was nothing compared to the sunny California weather that she had grown up in. Then again, growing up with her parents had never been too kind. Margo tended to block out most of the memories from her childhood, besides the dreadful court case that ensued over the custody of her. Her Aunt Jenny put up a good fight, good enough to win custody. God, did Aunt Jenny hate Margo's mother, and because Margo blocked out a lot of her parents' abuse as a child, she first thought that her aunt was trying to be mean and kidnap her. When she grew older, the reasons became clearer. Aunt Jenny got her out of her abusive home that gave Margo her big brain, and instead brought her to Forks, where Jenny said her big brain could "enlighten the students more."

It didn't enlighten anyone. In fact, most students found Margo Richards annoying. "She knows everything," Jessica Stanley had rambled. "God, she's such a know-it-all. Sometimes I wish she would just shut up." Truly, Jessica shouldn't be talking. Everyone knew she was a big-mouth since age six.

Eventually, Margo got used to the stormy weather and consistent rain. It was gross, but there was nothing she could do about it. But truthfully, she would love for it to be explained to her why the rain ceased once she left the border of Forks. That fact alone was mystifying. Even Courtney couldn't come up with a reason for that.

Aunt Jenny was a nurse at Forks Hospital, and because Forks had little to nothing to do, Margo was known to hang out in the waiting area, reading books and magazines she found around. She liked to sometimes talk with the saddened or distraught families that wandered through the waiting room, maybe telling them a positive story or two to keep them centered. She liked doing that; making people feel better. She understood why Jenny loved her job so much, but Margo knew that most of the time, her aunt was possibly lusting over the chief doctor, Carlisle Cullen, from afar. She was so infatuated with the blonde-haired doctor that Margo was sick of hearing about him.

Her aunt worked long hours, but she always tried to make time for her niece. Jenny knew how much Margo disliked Forks, so she frequently planned road trips just to get out of the damn town. Jenny liked the cold and rainy weather, plus living in Forks was pretty cheap, but she wanted her niece to be comfortable and have a happy home life before she became a full adult and left her care. Jenny got used to having the younger girl around, and didn't know what she'd do once Margo turned eighteen.