FOURTEEN

CHAPTER 14
POPPING THE QUESTION

CHAPTER 14POPPING THE QUESTION

"HOW does a family just disappear out of nowhere?"

Melinda's question was something the whole town of Forks was dreading to ask, and Margo was pretty sure they'd never get an answer. After explaining to Melinda the events that happened the night before, the two decided to leave school during their lunch period. Seeing as Jenny told her niece the location of Carlisle Cullen's fancy home, the two were driving to see if it really was empty. Margo sped down the dead-end road, covered by trees on both sides. The Cullens really did live in the middle of nowhere. Neither teenager knew this part of Forks existed.

And when they arrived at the mansion, they realized the rumors were true. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. No car. No figures. The house was practically windows on all sides for you to see into it, and the two girls saw no one.

Melinda gawked at the sight in front of her. "It's like they just ... vanished. How did this happen?"

"I don't know," Margo replied, opening her car door, "but we're gonna find out – sooner or later."

As soon as Margo had gotten home last night, she sat a very tired aunt Jenny down at the dining room table and told her what happened. To say that Jenny was shocked would be an understatement. Not only did Bella Swan's short disappearance scare her just a bit, but she actually seemed to put some pieces together herself. "Carlisle wasn't in today," she explained to her niece. "He didn't call in. No notice. He's never like that, so we all thought it was very odd." Jenny shook her head in disbelief. "That's why he was gone, but why did he leave?"

Margo had shrugged her shoulders. "Could've been the rumors."

"No, no," Jenny said, "Carlisle never listens to nasty rumors. It must have been something else."

Two months later, they still had no answers. The Cullens had disappeared without a trace, and everyone had seemingly gone on with their lives. All except Bella Swan, who had been in a crippling depression since her boyfriend just up and left her out of nowhere. She wasn't at school most days, and when she was, she was either ignoring everyone or sitting at the Cullens' old lunch table. It was a bit – more like, very – sad to watch, but Margo didn't blame Bella. Sure, her and Edward had only been dating for about seven months, but ... well, maybe it was a tad weird for Bella to be so attached. Anyways, it didn't matter. Margo still felt bad.

Bella hardly spoke to any of her former friends lately, and it wasn't like they made an effort to talk to her either. Even Jacob told Margo that Bella wasn't speaking to him. Margo and Melinda tried to strike up conversations with the brunette in class, but she barely answered. It was difficult to even communicate with her now. Bella had never been quite talkative in the first place, but there had to be something still left in her. Amongst the sadness and depression, Margo hoped Bella was still in there.