FIFTEEN

CHAPTER 15
ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-SIX MUSCLES

AS much as it disgusted her, Margo somehow thought love was in the air

AS much as it disgusted her, Margo somehow thought love was in the air. Maybe January should be the month to house Valentine's Day, rather than February. But, don't even get her started on that dreadful holiday. If there was anything Margo hated, it was commercialized Hallmark holidays.

Nevertheless, her assumptions were true. Not only was Margo dating Jacob Black, a boy who she connected with so well that she was surprised they hadn't known each other forever, but Melinda had gone on a few dates with Embry Call. Margo knew Melinda was happy. She had everything she could hope for: a college acceptance letter, a cheerleading scholarship, good grades, and an unofficial boyfriend.

Margo had those things too, minus the cheerleading scholarship. But she was also the happiest she'd ever been. Just living a normal teenager life was foreign to her, seeing as she always seemed to act somewhat out of the ordinary for a teenager. Not all teenagers spent their nights reading their textbooks for enjoyment or finding out if their neighbors are fucking vampires, which ended badly in Margo's case.

Out of all things, having a boyfriend was the most foreign to her. Margo had never dated a boy, and she'd hardly call her kiss with some boy named Steve in fourth grade her first kiss. Well, technically it was, but she didn't think it was official. Margo had always been open to the idea of a boyfriend, but every boy who asked her out always seemed so ... bland. She was picky, to say the least, and that was a trope she got from her aunt. No boy was ever good enough, and she was happy being that way, because then she'd never be disappointed. But then, of course, some boy – some Jacob Black – had to come around, and be everything she wanted in both a friend and a boyfriend. And now, Margo was left feeling ... confused.

She never planned on dating in high school, and now that she was, everything was just so ... not normal. Although, maybe this was what she needed. Margo Richards needed a change. She couldn't go on living the same day-to-day life forever. Jeez, her short mystery with the Cullens last year was the most excitement she had since moving to Forks. This was what she needed. Jacob Black, whether as a friend or boyfriend, was a new chapter in her life, and it was going to be a long one.

Her first date with Jacob hadn't been what she expected a first date to be like. Jacob had texted her to come to the Rez on a Saturday night. No dress attire. "Just come as yourself," he said through her phone's speaker. When Margo arrived, she spotted a nervous Jacob on the porch of his house, practically shaking from sweat. Margo waved as she ventured up the hill, greeting, "Hey!"

"I'm so sorry about this."

Margo's immediate response was crinkling her brow. "What do you have to be sorry for?"

Jacob ran a hand through his long, dark hair. He was sweating. "I just ..." He began to stutter. "I didn't know what to do. I'm scared this won't be enough for you. I just – oh, my god. I don't know, Mar. I'm shit with dates. I try to act like I know girls, but – shit, I really don't. And you just seem different from girls I've tried to –"