22) She's Glowing

“Any suggestions?” I ask, my eyebrows raised curiously at everyone in the meeting. After Kendall, Carter and I spent a few hours talking it over, we realized a few things.

One; we’re gonna have to take down Dave, and my father.

Two; We are in no shape to be fighting against Dave and my father.

Three; We’re gonna have to change that.

So, the next day we called a meeting, and now we- The Crew, Paige, Kendall, Wren, Hadley, and a select few others from my crew, are deciding on the attack plan, and the attack team.

“Yennah!” All the boys shout out at once eagerly. I chuckle a little to myself, and roll my eyes at them playfully.

“I propose my presence. You’ll need someone of medical expertise to tend to the wounded.” Hadley suggests formally in the regal way in which she approaches everything.

“What about your projects here?” I ask curiously, knowing she’s working on a few things already.

“I’ll put them on hold. When I pledged my loyalty here, I pledged it to you, not my curiosity. My projects can wait.” She replies dully.

“I don’t want Paige going.” Alex speaks out, nervously avoiding eye contact with Paige.

“Excuse me?” Paige shrieks in outrage, glaring at Alex.

I narrow my eyes at him, knowing exactly why he doesn’t want her going. He doesn’t want her to get hurt during the raid. Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand, but that is just outrageous that he for even a second is considering that Paige isn’t able to handle herself.

Alex sighs tiredly, reaching up, and running his hand through his hair in frustration. He knows this is gonna be tough to break. “Look, I don’t doubt for a second that you can’t handle yourself. But, combat isn’t all about skill. Being able to dodge bullets firing at random, and shooting a man in complete darkness, ensuring survival has nothing to do with skill. That is luck. And, what if luck isn’t on your side? You aren’t going into this only to die in the end. I won’t allow it.” Alex sighs, shooting a pleading look at the wall over my shoulder.

“With all do love, and respect, Alex, that isn’t your call to make!” Paige replies fiercly.

“Damnit, Paige! I can’t protect you if you go! I can’t focus on what I need to do, and protecting you all while I’m being shot at, it’s too much!” Alex shoots back.

Listening to their argument, my throat begins to painfully close, and my palms grow sweaty under the cautious stare burning into my skin. I know exactly what Alex is going through. I had thought that it was about questioning her skill, and strength, but really it’s about questioning her Karma. Something I often have a serious problem with. I have a feeling from the stare burning into the side of my face that Alex and I aren’t the only ones with this feeling.