Chapter One- Barbecue and Aunt Betty

Auden's hug was tight and warm, just like her mom's.

The rest of the barbecue was spent in relatives one by one coming over to talk to me. I tried to stay behind Auden, and use her as some sort of human shield from all the peppy Aunt Berta's, but to no avail.

Near the end, where many has left and few were still there-even Grace and Jules left to go to the nearby hotels-one family introduced themselves as the Whitney's next door neighbors, and close family friends. The parents seemed a little rigid next to each other- probably because they were thinking of a divorce (an earful of gossip was heard by one particular Aunt Betty).

They had five sons- one of which couldn't be there because of work. And they had one daughter, who was home sick.

The oldest was around Jules's age, and he introduced himself to me as Jules's fiance- Drake was his name.

The second son looked to be Grace's age, and had been her friend since they were both in diapers. His name was Abram.

The next son's name was Mason..... and he was absolutely gorgeous. His brown hair was slightly wavy, and his green eyes gripped my brown. I think I stared a little too long at his full lips, and when just realized that, I blushes and looked at the Wilson's last son.

He looked like Mason (you know, the gorgeous one)  in the sense that, yes his brown hair was wavy, and his green eyes could change to grey and murky blue all within an instant.
But Mason was also taller then me- way taller. Whereas I was barely 5'4", he reached nearly 6'2". Which, made me feel like a grasshopper in comparison. The brother was not. He barely reached 6 even.

Even though he was tall, Mason carried himself differently. Strong, compassionate about... things he was compassionate about. He just seemed confident, cool. Andrew- the last Wilson boy, did not. Mason had high cheekbones and a jaw that could cut diamonds, and most likely my heart, in half.

Even though my heart didn't flutter at the thought of Andrew the way that it did when I thought of Mason, Andrew was twins with Mason, and that's pretty hot.

Anne made us hang out with the Wilson twins. Us meaning Lauren who looked like someone squeezed a lemon in her eye.

"Hey, so wait.." Mason paused and turned towards me. I felt my heartbeat rush. His eyes made my throat dry.

"Yeah?" I croaked out, and Lauren stifled a laugh. I ignored her, and waited for Mason to express his feelings for me- love at first sight.

"I don't even know your name, cute new Whitney." He smirked at the nickname, however idiotic it was, I loved it.

"It's-"

"There you guys are!" Auden's voice rang down the hall. "Moms been looking for you! Oh, and Mason and Andrew, you guys are leaving." I felt sad, seeing Mason go. Andrew had barely talked all day, which was a little bit weird since he seemed like an outgoing person. But it could be because he just met me. Whatever it was, I shouldn't care.

·  ·  ·

There were a couple weeks left till school started, until I was a sophomore, and it scared me. It scared me because I was new now, and I hated being new. It meant being the center of attention.

And I had figured out what Lauren meant by what she said earlier. I stole her out of a date because Lauren's boyfriend of 6 years had shown up for a surprise date, only to be shown the door because as Anne explained to him, "relatives are over". And the family thing was obvious. I'm a part of Lauren's family now, I have to live in a room next to hers until my room is finished, and I basically have to live in her shadow.

The fact that she wanted me to stay out of her way was justified.

But I soon learned another fact about Lauren and I, that I hoped she wouldn't get too mad about.

The first morning of my staying there, I was greeted by pancakes, eggs, orange juice, and toast.

Lauren was already sitting down. Her feet crisscrossed under her legs and she was spreading nutella on her toast.
Auden was beside her humming softly and pouring oj in a cup. I quickly sat down, and waited for some, and as I was pouring, all that came out was a small drizzle.

"Sorry Leah, I had no clue you wanted any." Auden muttered sheepishly.

"No, it's fine." I said, and sighed a little. Lauren mimicked me under her breath, and Anne choose this exact time to walk in and hear everything.

"Lauren Jane Whitney! You are turning 16 on October 17, and you better act like it!"

I froze and glanced at my hands.

Why is October 17 such a big deal to me?

It's my birthday. No wonder why Lauren hates me.

·  ·  ·

Anne wanted to take me shopping for my bedroom. The Walls were a faded grey blue, and it was hard to find the exact shade.

Anne said we'd just have to find grays and pinks instead. Truth be told, I didn't want to go shopping, because as soon as Anne brought it up, Lauren gave me the evil eye.

I just wanted to stay in my room and think. The fact that it took almost 16 years for someone to want me, hit me pretty hard.

Was there anything wrong with me? I had questioned time and time again.
Anne had tried to get me out of my room. She told me she'd buy me new clothes, food, new shoes, any thing to get me out of the house.

But stuck in my head were two sentences. The first was 'there's a reason it took 16 years for you to get adopted.' 

The second. 'There's a reason why I only wear long sleeved shirts and jeans. And that's why I'm going shopping.

-------------------------

A.N.

The first chapter is up!! 

So what do you guys think?? Why is Leah acting like this, and whyyyy does she wear long sleeved shirts and jeans??

I guess you'll just have to keep on reading!

Anyway, many new characters were introduced in this chapter. What do you think about the Wilsons? Mr. Whitney?

I hope you enjoy! Please vote, comment and share if you like the story so far, and I'll see you soon!

Much love,

Super-women-writer