✔T R E N T A D U E

Start from the beginning

"Goodnight, Luca." I give him a final look over my shoulder, a sweet smile on my lips.

I make my way back into the bedroom, getting into bed by the cold spot where Luca usually lays. I pull the covers up to my shoulders, my toes curling when I let out a yawn.

I stare up at the white ceilings until my eyes start to droop, waiting patiently for him. But unfortunately I lose the battle against sleep, eyes slipping close and before I know it, soon I've descended into the shimmering realm of sleep.

✨✨✨

I cover my eyes blocking the glare of the sunshine which streams in, groaning I roll over in bed without feeling the usual sort of blockage created by Luca.

Cracking an eye open, I look around the room, my eyes coming in contact with nothing but a vacant droopy room.

It's a somber gloomy morning, after all that was expected. Today, December 24th, Luca lost his older sister to cancer.

I kick the covers away from my body, getting out of bed. The balcony doors had been closed and the drapes pushed to the sides presumably by Luca, making my way into the bathroom, I do my business.

Reaching for my toothbrush and the tube of toothpaste, I squeeze a dollop of toothpaste on to the bristles. Brushing my teeth, I splash my face with cold water to wake me up once I've finished. I stroll from the bathroom, making my way towards the closet.

I scan through each rack of Luca's dress shirts, grabbing a white one from where it hung, I slip it on and button it up to the top. Putting the rack back to its original position.

I turn the silver handle of the bedroom door, walking down the empty hallway which is further depressing as it's so dimly lit, Entering the kitchen, I give a slight stretch. The usually bright and chirpy Rosie silently flips pancakes.

"Morning. " I greet as I step into the kitchen.

Her head snaps up and she smiles her motherly smile at me. "Good morning, Iris."

"Did you see Luca this morning by any chance?" I inquire, taking a seat on the bar stool.

"I did, for a brief second. He left this morning for work before the break of dawn,"

"Oh." My brows furrow as I frown disappointedly.

"He does this every year, during this time, buries himself in work trying to block out his emotions." She sighs heavily, eyes still trained on making breakfast. "Then after work, he visits her grave.... and sits there for hours. "

"I hate it that I can't do anything to make him feel better." I pout, shoulders slumped in despair.

Rosie smiles, laughing softly. "I dare to disagree, sweetheart, I feel like you've helped him make a certain improvement."

The sound of the doorbell causes our conversation to come to a pause, sending a look to Rosie, she only gave me a small shrug of her shoulders. I grab a blueberry from the fruit bowl before I make my way into the foyer, towards the front doors.

I pull the door open, feeling the frosty wind whip my face. A small man with a mustache stands there at the door shaking, though it was not from the cold instead it's from the fear of Gabriele and Lorenzo who stand on either side of him, glaring down at him.