✔V E N T I C I N Q U E

Chapter 25

Iris' Pov

I sit in the car beside Luca who drove us down to the Pier 21, my heart hammering hard in my chest.

I'm shaking as questions and scenarios dance through my mind.

What if it's him?

What if he's dead?

"Amore," Luca calls, effectively snapping me out of my trance. "Relax, okay, don't worry yourself sick, please."

I bite my lip and nod glancing out the window, not paying a word of what he said with importance, police lights flash and bustling cops and paramedics stand behind yellow tape.

Oh God, what if, what if he really is gone? All my fault, this is all my fault.

Looking at all the squad cars and at the ambulance, I feel like I can't breathe. Jesus, how did that thing go again.

In. In. In. Out. In. In. In.
Or was that hyperventilating?

"Hey, it's going to be fine." Luca continues to reassure me, taking my hand in his, he raises it to his lips and kisses the back of my hand. It didn't help in calming me.

I swallow and nod trying to look convincing, Luca, I guess, somewhat, satisfied lets go of my hand. Maybe he realized I just wouldn't calm down.

I suck in a breath and push the door open, getting out. The salty scent of the ocean is the first to hit me, next is the freezing cold wind of the night and then the fucking snow.

Walking under the tape together, Luca stands by me. He's so close that we're practically joined.

"Are you Iris Donario-Harding?" A man questions, he seems to be the one in charge.

He's medium build with that stereotypical police man mustache and no beer belly in sight, with the aid of all the lights I can tell he's nearing his 40's with wrinkles on his face to back up my claim. His hair is quiffed back, that grays slightly, he has a handsome face and pretty piercing blue eyes.

He's dressed in a black coat and white dress shirt with gun holsters at the side, with this he's wearing black dress pants, black combat boots and his badge around his neck that reads detective.

"I am." I mumble, drawing my coat tighter as the cold bites at me.

"And who's this?" He motions to Luca, who acknowledges him with only a slight nod of the head.

"He's my husband." I answer, pushing a lock of my hair behind my ear and switching my eyes over to the man whose hazels run over the place, analyzing it.

"Well then, I'm Detective Smalls." He clears his throat, turning his attention back to me. "The body's over here."

"Again I sincerely apologize for disturbing your night-" He apologizes.

"It's fine, Detective." Luca dismisses, snapping his eyes over to the detective who bustles slightly.

Nodding quickly, he says no more as we trail behind him, my anxiety sky rocketing, As if sensing my anxiety, Luca places a comforting hand on my shoulder and I give him my best shaky smile.