Chapter 18

Both Greg and Leslie were in high spirits when they arrived at the pumpkin patch where the church was holding the singles' activity. As they walked hand in hand up the gravel walk Greg asked, "What would you like to do first?"

"Definitely the corn maze!" Leslie smiled up at him, and he had to hold back from taking her in his arms and kissing her right then and there. "I hope you have a decent sense of direction, Greg, because if you don't we will get hopelessly lost! I can't find my way anywhere without a GPS!"

"I guess we will find out what kind of a navigator I am. Honestly, I can think of worse things than being lost in a corn maze with you though."

A deep blush colored Leslie's cheeks. "Greg, you shouldn't say things like that at a church activity!" Her melodious laughter filled the air.

"I'll try to be professional," Greg replied jokingly.

"You can be familiar; just try not to be too familiar. We don't want to be the next topic of a sermon."

"I suppose you're right. Let's go find that corn maze."

As they made their way through the winding labyrinth of corn stalks, they had the opportunity to catch up on the happenings of the week. Leslie told Greg about the condition she had found Ashley in a few days before. "I just wish there was something more I could do, Greg. Ashley wants to go home when her dad will take her back, but I'm afraid that next time could be worse. I wish there was a way I could just have her move in with me. At least she would be safe at my apartment."

"It's a terrible situation. I will be praying that God works everything out for Ashley. Just remember that God may not always answer our prayers the way we think He should, but He always answers them the way they should be answered. I know He will work everything out, but it may not all make sense to us now."

"I know you're right. I just feel so helpless." Leslie stood still for a moment, looking around to see which way to take next.

Taking a step closer, Greg wrapped her in a warm hug. "You may feel helpless, but God already knows how He is going to work this problem out. He loves Ashley, and has a plan for her. Give everything over to him, and leave it with Him. He is capable, and He is always good."

Leaning in to his embrace, Leslie rested her hands on his chest, and breathed in the comforting scent of his cologne. "You're right. Thank you for telling me just what I needed to hear right now."

Pulling away slightly, she looked into his expressive blue eyes, and her heart did a silly, little flip in her chest. Greg leaned his head down and stroked her cheek tenderly with his thumb. Their lips were just centimeters apart, and Leslie wondered what it would feel like to have Greg kiss her. She wanted to find out; her feelings for him were growing deeper every day. As they both leaned a little closer to fill the gap between them, Leslie could feel her heart begin to race. Greg's lips brushed hers very gently, but were quickly torn away as the sound of approaching footsteps crunched through the dry grass on the path.

Leslie's heart continued to beat quickly as a group of single ladies tromped past them through the maze. "Well, Greg, do you think we should try and find our way out of this thing?" Leslie thought it would be best to get out of the corn maze as quickly as possible and move on to the next activity. It was just way too tempting here in the seclusion of the corn stalks.

"Sure. I think we should head this way." Leading her to the path on the right, they managed to find the end of the maze.

Walking around for a bit, Greg noticed Leslie's green eyes grow wide with excitement. "What do you see that has you all worked up?"