Ill See You Again, Soon (Angst! Oneshot)

Start from the beginning

He didn't know when throwing pillows formed into gentle shoves and playful wrestling. He didn't know when lighthearted jabs turned into laughter.

He didn't know when that laughter formed into a harsh cough.

Now that he thought of it, watching as his wife heaved into her elbow brutally, this had been happening for a while now. However, it didn't start off this violent, it was getting worse.

"Are you okay?" He asked, gently running a hand between Y/N's shoulder blades, feeling how they protruded slightly more than usual. The baby fat from before had melted away long ago, but now, she was thinner than before she had the baby. That wasn't supposed to happen.

(E/C) eyes looked up gently, slightly more distant than usual. "I'm fine, just a cold".

Vincent didn't believe it in the slightest, but he backed down, giving in to that gentle smile he fell for long ago. Everything would be fine.

Everything would be fine.

//////////

"How was your first day of school?" Vincent asked, closing the sliding glass door leading to the inside with care. Various blankets and pillows were strewn along the balcony floor, glowing beneath the clear night sky.

S/N seemed to shrink into himself, snuggling into the covers even more as he stared at the stars. "It was good, I guess".

Y/N chose that moment to walk out, hair disheveled and skin slightly paler than usual. Vincent blamed it on the moonlight, at least, that's what he hoped it was from.

"Come on, you can tell us" She muttered, flopping down beside her son with slightly baggy clothes. They used to fit her a couple weeks ago.

The boy slumped his shoulders, leaning into the woman's side as Vincent stalked forward, sitting on his other side silently. Something about the air was tense, unsaid things tainting the atmosphere dangerously.

"They made fun on me, because of my skin and my eyes" S/N whispered, a small sob wracking from his throat. It was broken and shaky, bordering on a mental breakdown as he retold all of his encounters that day.

A kid pushed him to the ground. A teacher ridiculed him on paying attention, saying that his eye condition wasn't an excuse to gaze into space. A janitor tried talking to the attendants because he looked to be bruised, when in reality it was the purple hue of his patches. The while class made fun of him because of the way he looked.

When it was all said and done, the boy noticeably relaxed in his parents' arms, crying coming to a halt. It made Vincent upset, knowing exactly how it was to look different in today's society, he went through the same thing in foster care as a child.

Y/N looked up at the sky, the contours of her face seeming deeper and more prominent. Deep bruises lined beneath her eyes, almost resembling eyeshadow. "Do me a favor, baby. Look up at the sky".

Pale eyes gently peeked from where they were previously buried in the woman's arm, gazing up hesitantly.

"Look at that empty space right there, the one without stars" She continued, finger pointing up at the sky shakily. Her wedding ring gently slid down, having fallen off a few times that day. It had fit her a month ago.