Chapter 41 King Darius

Start from the beginning

Ariane looked up, but it wasn't Cyrus in the doorway. Only another servant. The boy bowed to her. "His Highness Prince Cyrus asks if you are ready to depart. The carriage is waiting."

Ariane took a few deep breath and combed her fingers through her hair to look more presentable. "Of course," she said while smoothing out her dress, "I will join him in a moment."

The boy bowed again and disappeared to relay her message. Ariane quickly moved to splash some water in her face. She must look a mess!

"Your luggage has already been sent down, my lady," Chloe provided.

Ariane gave a nod and left the room without a word.

Cyrus was already waiting for her in the courtyard. Over a dozen soldiers would accompany them to Tirèze. They bowed as she passed by but she paid them no attention.

Also waiting was Vara. She would not travel with them, since she was still unwed, but she had come to greet them goodbye. Iason stood patiently at her side. The young man still seemed to feel out of place in the company of nobility, though he appeared at ease with Vara.

It must be strange, Ariane mused, to grow from a soldier into almost a prince. It was different for Vara who had come here when she was still a child. Ariane shook her head. In Tirèze, this kind of thing would not have been possible.

"You're here."

His voice made her look up. Cyrus was watching her with an unreadable expression.

"I am sorry to have kept you waiting," she said quietly.

"It's understandable." It was Vara who had spoken. She offered Ariane a weak smile. "In your condition."

Ariane bit her lip, unsure of how to answer.

"There are extra pillows in the carriage," Cyrus said awkwardly, "and we will spend the night in inns. We'll have plenty of time to arrive before the coronation."

Ariane nodded gratefully. She wasn't looking forward to riding over bumpy roads all day.

"Have a safe journey," Vara said, "and give my warm greeting to Torcan. I still have hope we will met again someday."

"I'm sure he will be happy to hear of your engagement," Ariane answered.

"Thank you," Vara said.

"Stay out of trouble," Cyrus told her. He glanced at Iason with a hint of annoyance in his eyes.

"You too," Vara replied mischievously.

Cyrus stepped forward and pulled her in an embrace. "I'll miss you." Over her shoulder, he glared at Iason.

Vara answered his embrace awkwardly. "You'll only be gone for a few days."

He didn't reply, but released her and aided Ariane into the carriage. With one last glare at iason he stepped inside too.

As the carriage pulled away, Iason looked at Vara. "Are you alright?" He hadn't missed the subtle claim Cyrus had placed on her when he said goodbye. It annoyed him, but he was more concerned with how it would make her feel.

Vara let out a sigh. "It would have been nice if we could have gone too. I might not like Darius overly much, but it would be nice to see the sands of Tirèze for myself. Iolaus has told me all about it. And I would have liked to see Torcan again."

"Who is this Torcan?" Iason asked curiously.

Vara smiled. "He is Darius' manservant, kind of like Iolaus is for Cyrus. He stayed behind with Ariane after the engagement was announced, to guard her. And after the wedding he returned to Tirèze. We've kept in touch."