Chapter 25: Burden In My Hand

Reoal'rin, Master Tyrell's Study
Ati Harei
Afternoon

"You're leaving, already? But you just got back," Tyrell said.

A look of bewilderment dressed his face while he closed the tall doors behind them. The old wooden frame shifted under the weight of the door shedding a loud clank before settling.

"I don't have much time to explain, but-" Alanis stopped and gave the study a quick scan before turning her attention back to the old temple master.

It was obvious by the way he had preemptively barred the entrance that he realized she was on the brink of unloading something that would not only be heavy, but dangerous if the wrong people caught wind of it. Tyrell was a man of his word, and a true follower of light, even now Alanis could feel it within him, calling out to her as she looked him over. So there was no doubt that she could trust him with what she was going to tell him.

"I won't be returning to Ati, so this will be our last meeting, Master Tyrell," she said finally.

Tyrell pushed away from the door lowering his weight to his cane. He hobbled to Alanis' side and walked with her to the sitting area. A hot pot of tea and fresh-baked biscuits sat atop a short table between a pair of chairs. Near it the fireplace was lit, bringing a comforting feel to an otherwise intimidating space.

He likely expected a pleasant evening by the looks of it, she thought briefly while she picked a chair to settle in-too bad it wouldn't be. She sat first and watched silently as he took seat across the way from her.

The old temple master was still quieted by her confession, but the alarm she felt from him was just as loud as a scream. Tyrell knew the reason, the dread deep within his eyes past her reflection was a dead giveaway even without her gift. The good times were ending, just as he had feared.

"Lady Alanis," he spoke settling across from her in his worn armchair, letting his old eyes roam her face while he talked. "Should you need anything, ask, it will be yours."

"Information," she paused and looked around, searching the room for listening ears once more before continuing. "I need information."

"What do you want to know? I'll try to be of help the best I can, though I've told you everything I know regarding-"

"It's alright. I trust you, Master Tyrell. The goddess blessed me to feel the souls of my followers. You are one of them, so I trust you enough to tell you that I-I..." she stuttered shaking off the nervous flutters in her stomach. "I think I may have already received one of my first followers. He recited the words from the book of white magic, never having heard them before."

"The words from Strare Harei?"

"Yes, the passage Helene added, the one you had me read."

Tyrell's eyes lowered while he spoke the words, "Hiore o'eri lahre al'eadi."

A pure heart will guide the light. Until recently those words had little meaning, but now it was clear that they were more than a confirmation of her powers from the recent turn of events.

"Perhaps the words written in Strare Harei were words recited by those carrying her light. Helene could have written them as a guide. It could be... Sadly, most of what we know regarding her and her task has been lost. Did you find anything else written within the tome?"

Alanis' stomach flipped. Explaining the destruction of Stare Harei wouldn't be wise, the old man would take it for some sort of omen. Her only recourse, for the time being, would be to dance around the subject, besides, the questioning that would follow would paint the prince in a negative light.