Prologue

The closet was dark and had a stench of unwashed, wet clothes. The air was stuffy and the girl's eardrums pounded. She knew there was a man inside the house. Footsteps heavily beat on the floor and yelling echoed throughout the apartment.

Her hands were cold from the metal of the black gun she held in her tiny fingers. The girl's nine year old body shuddered as she listened to her mother yell at the intruder.

"There's nobody else here!" Her mother's voice was shaking. The girl knew her father had already been shot. She heard his screams and silence. Her mother had stayed

"We know you have a daughter." The man growls. "Your husband deserves everything he's gotten and more. Now tell me where she is!"

Little did she know the man's voice would be embedded in her memory the rest of her life.

"She's not home. And there is no way I'll tell you where she is. Not over my dead body." Her mother sounded stronger than the girl had ever heard.

Silence. Long, dreadful silence led up until a gunshot broke the air around the Girl. Her heart fell. She thought maybe, maybe her mother would be the one to finally open the closet door. She was wrong.

The girl waits with the gun her mother had given her minutes ago. After her mother had heard the commotion at the front door, she immediately acted. She gave her daughter the gun and stern instructions. If anyone other than a cop or her family were to push open the door then she was to shoot them. She figured out later the people just wanted to kill her and nothing less. They would've taken the shot the first second they got and her mother was only protecting her.

Minutes passed and the man outside was making more noise than ever. He flipped desks and looked under the bed. The Girl didn't realize he was looking for her.

The door to the closet flung open and the man stared at her with a cruel grin on his face. His eyes met the gun and he looked confused. That was the last face the girl saw him make before she put a bullet through his chest.

At nine years old the kingdom declared her a murderer, but took into account it was self defense and she was underage. They settled on six years in prison. Juvenile prisons used to exist, but those were abolished. She was sent to a long term prison and given her own room.

To this day she remembered her mother's words and swore never to forget them.

"Stay strong, Rosalyn. It'll get better."

A/N

Hey guys! So I realize I'm not at 1K or 2K views on my last book but I wanted to put up the prologue just so you guys have an idea of Rosalyn's background before the Selection. Please share with your friends!