The Quest: Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

"What's happening?" Alannah asked, her voice beginning to shake. Legolas grabbed her by the shoulders and kissed her before continuing packing hastily.

"We're leaving. Wherever you want to go meleth nin. Gondor, Rivendell, even Lothlorien. Anywhere." Legolas threw her bag over his shoulder and grabbed her arm, pulling her to the door. "I'll grab my things and we'll go."

Alannah pulled him back, squeezing his hand to calm him although her nerves were already jumbled. "Legolas, tell me what happened." She asked, trying to smooth out the shakiness in her voice.

He pulled her to the bed and sat her down, trying to still himself. "My father does not give his consent. He wants to banish you because of a nasty rumor we both know to be false. I've left here before and I will leave again. I will not forsake you Alannah." He laced his fingers with hers as he spoke. Alannah furrowed her brow, unsure of what he was talking about.

"What rumor?" She asked quietly. Legolas looked down at the floor, despising that it was being brought up.

"I do not wish for you to be upset, but it's about what occurred by the falls of Rauros." He whispered. Alannah nodded as she straightened her posture, swallowing hard at the memory. The mere thought of it caused her heart great pain.

"I will speak to him, Legolas." She asserted as she stood. Legolas grabbed her by the hand, thinking of how to convince her otherwise. "It will be ok. If anything, I want to clear my name once and for all." Alannah pressed her lips to Legolas's forehead before mustering as much courage as she could before walking out of her quarters, and towards the throne room.

~

Alannah was careful to avoid any guards as she walked through the halls of the kingdom. At one point, she hid around the corner as a handful of elves talked amongst themselves.

"How scandalous. She did seem odd when they rode in." One elven woman spoke, as the rest quickly agreed to the elf's statement.

"It's disgusting. The Valar would never allow a union between her and Lord Legolas if she's already given herself to another." Another elf rang out. Alannah pushed a stray tear from her cheek as they continued in their gossip, trying not to be angry at them for not knowing the truth.

When she finally reached the large door to the throne room, she paused. Her hand shook as she held onto the door handle, tempted to turn back and leave with Legolas. The last thing she wanted was to cause strife between Legolas and his father, so she took a deep breath as she opened it and stepped inside. She was grateful the throne room was void of guards, but they were the least of her concern. Her steps echoed as she walked closer to the throne, climbing the steps lightly to avoid appearing as a threat.

"If you haven't heard already, and I am most certain you have, you've been banished from this realm. I do not give my son consent to marry you. Leave now or you will face the consequences." Thranduil asserted, his voice void of emotion. Alannah stood at the foot of the throne, clutching her hands tightly so they would not shake. She bowed low in front of him, keeping her eyes to the floor.

"Your grace, I do not know what I have done to anger you. Will you please speak to me?" Alannah pleaded. Thranduil chuckled as he leaned forward.

"I have no desire to speak to a lowly half elf with such loose morals. You are a deceptive harlot. Perhaps your time amongst the mortals was your downfall." Thranduil leaned back as he stared at her. Alannah stood from her bow, no longer wishing to be cordial with him.

"I may be a lowly half elf my lord, but I am not deceptive nor a harlot. You've been misinformed." Alannah locked eyes with him, and his cold eyes sent a shiver through her. "My lord, what happened between myself and Boromir was not what you believe it to be. This past year I've been through suffering and hard.."