CHAOS MAGE Chapter 16: King's Mages

"You're looking much better now, Kommora," said Colm Hatman with an approving nod.

"I feel better," Kommora admitted, although that was probably more due to Martel Solidor's update that arrived at her office with a handful of winter lilies that morning rather than any significant recovery of her own. She eased into the plush chair at the round table in the meeting chamber, trying not to let the effects of the all-nighters show.

"Glad to see you here, Kommora," Willem Dankworth said, sweeping in last and shutting the door. He nodded at each of the other three king's mages sitting at the table and set his royal blue cloak on the hook along with the others' before easing into his chair with a groan. "Dear runes, it has been a hectic week. I don't even know where to begin!"

"You're chairing, Willem, so why don't you start with your issues first and we can then move around the table?" Marya Bonneville suggested from across the table. "I'll scribe."

"Well." Dankworth adjusted the sleeves of his tunic before laying both hands on the table, dark brown eyes scanning at each of the faces across from him. "As we all know, there have been a lot of concerns expressed by the people. The biggest of all has been regarding magic. They want better control of mages, strict approval of who serves the country, and fear another Kristen Harred event."

"There are plenty of exams in place to prevent those with poor abilities from moving up the year, never mind graduating," Kommora said.

"Didn't stop Harred though. The people worry anybody with a gift can attend King's and graduate, even if their — ahem — psychological aspects suggest otherwise. The people have to have a say in this. State mages serve them and affect their lives, even if the magical and non-magical councils are kept separate."

"There already is a mandatory probationary period before a full state registration to help prevent that."

"There should also be a subjective element of checking and a means of confirming the adequacy of each candi—"

"I'm well aware, Dankworth," Kommora interrupted. "I invented the bloody probationary period for all fresh graduates to filter out those who have the brains but not the ethics to be a state mage. Harred and all our lovely predecessors graduated before I instated that requirement. Except for Karis Bonneville, but that little bitch was too gifted and had too many ties in high places to be refused a place. No other mentally unstable candidates have managed to sneak by those safety nets since."

"Seiren Nithercott," Dankworth said simply.

Kommora sucked in a breath and her eyes flashed.

"It's not a criticism of your probationary system, Kommora," Bellamy Southwark said, ever the peacekeeper. "But rather it highlights areas where we can build upon it to improve. You've built the foundations, so why don't we see what other hoops we can put in to help fine-tune the process even more? And once we have a proposal, we'll put it forward to the council."

Kommora only grimaced in reply. Bonneville scribbled down their plans.

"That's all I have to say. Who's next? Colm?"

Colm Hatman sat forward.

"No current issues from Hanna, Teirrin, or Moakai, but autumn is approaching, which means more pilgrim summoners will try to approach Acrise. Things have changed since last autumn. We have to decide if we are still to shoot on sight to maintain our territory."

The king's mages exchanged uneasy looks.

"I disagree with this from an ethical point of view," said Bellamy Southwark. "They aren't declaring war, merely going on their pilgrimage as part of their culture. I feel we should respect that. Many of those are children or young people. They don't deserve to be shot just for approaching Acrise."