Chapter 64: Butterworth's Old Friend

Seiren sat back with a sigh and wiped sweat from her forehead. The citizens, armed with yellow runes to light their way, orange runes to give them warmth, and enough violet runes to keep everyone waterproof until spring, disappeared before her eyes. The end of the corridor now opened into a dungeon room that lay empty, thanks to the violet runes she'd applied deceptively, the designs of which took another hour. To anyone passing by, this was an empty dungeon, but if they stepped beyond the threshold they would see the bewildered citizens making their way one by one down the half-frozen sewers to escape. She only hoped she'd magic-proofed it enough.

A year ago, you won't have been able to produce so many intricate runes in two hours. Nicely done.

Seiren grinned to herself. Guess I have improved.

She picked herself off the floor and dusted her cloak. Now to return it before anyone realised she was masquerading beyond her rank. She turned the corner and almost slammed straight into someone's shoulder.

"Well, if it isn't Seiren Nithercott."

Her blood turned to ice. She looked up into the scarred, disfigured face of Domic Butterworth. Her old abdominal wound started throbbing again.

What is he doing here?! said Madeleine, recoiling.

"Mage Butterworth." Seiren's voice was hoarse, but she managed to still the tremor at last minute.

"Are you not out carrying out the king's orders?"

"Of course I am." Seiren swallowed. "I've been searching for them in the southern sector. I haven't managed to find any of them yet."

"Interesting." His voice gave nothing away.

He brushed past her and eyed the end of the corridor. Seiren held her breath. If he didn't see through her runes -- he was a flash mage, and with their tendency to specialise so much into their own branch it was likely it had been years since he'd last touched a rune -- it should be okay. Unless he were to walk straight through her violet rune. Or maybe something would give it away -- maybe the piping was just out of alignment or the ground didn't appear to meet the wall.

"Why the south sector, Mage Nithercott?"

"I have to start somewhere."

Less of the snark, Seiren. If you get too defensive, he'll get suspicious.

He's suspicious anyway.

"It's interesting that none of the mages can find the people of Acrise."

Seiren bit her tongue.

"It's almost like they vanished off the face of Karma. One would even wonder if someone is... hiding them."

He's onto us.

Stay calm, Seiren.

"No-one would dare to go against King Pollin's command, surely," she said in a nonchalant voice. Butterworth turned around and Seiren felt as though every fibre of her being was being analysed by the single calculating hazel eye she could see behind the spectacles. The ominous air was suffocating.

"I should hope not. Treason is punishable by death, after all, mage or not." He smiled, making his features even more contorted than they were already. "It's fascinating, though. I'm sure several soldiers have mentioned you'd led a crowd of Acrise citizens in this direction. And suddenly, poof--" He splayed his hands open to mimic a cloud of smoke. "--they're gone."

"Funny, that."

His lips curled. "I would hate to think Kristen Harred's daughter would blatantly lie to the king's representative to his face."