Chapter 2: The Disembodied Voice

Without a second glance at Seiren, the fat lizard crawled off, attracted by the screaming, fleeing humans. She ignored it in return, sketching several runes on any tiles or rocks that were flat enough and pocketing some. The weight pulled her cloak down one side. The Hannan dashed off again, using the demon as a distraction -- or more likely because he couldn't control it, as was the case of most summoners. Bringing one of these into the world didn't seem that big a feat. Controlling it to do their bidding seemed to be a lesson every demon summoner neglected during demon school.

Seiren gave chase. Her sprained ankles made her progress slow, but she kept a trained eye on the crooked man. The demon ambled to the right, towards chugging trains and terrified citizens.

He's going for that leaving train.

The Hannan leapt onto the moving train, now going too quickly for Seiren to catch up. He pulled himself up, shaking with ragged breaths. A flash of a triumphant grin on that scarred face incensed Seiren. She skidded to a halt.

Don't kill anyone by accident, Seiren.

Only his ass.

Seiren grimaced, sketching rapidly. A violet rune flashed at a click of her fingers, turning a narrow strip of ground ahead of her into frictionless goo. She leapt onto it, firing a red rune behind her to propel herself along, all the while sketching more violet runes on her tiles, dropping and activating a few to continue her path. She whizzed along like a rocket, her peripheries turning into a blur. All she could see was the rapidly-approaching front of the train on her left as she caught up.

We should be looking after the people, going after the demon.

That's the state mage's job, not mine, thought Seiren, aiming her next throw. The two tiles skimmed the steel tracks. She snapped her fingers. The violet runes expanded, the glow spreading several metres along the track. When the train's wheels made contact, a stomach-churning grating noise filled the air, making Seiren grit her teeth. The train ground to a halt by the end of its run along the tracks, the red runes that power its movements fading.

Curious heads poked out of the windows, wondering why their journey was suddenly halted. The train master's head popped out of the front window, his cheeks red with fury.

"Just what the hell do you think you're doing, young lady?"

Seiren ignored him, darting to the cart where she'd last seen the Hannan. Sure enough, the spindly freak leapt out, his face pale. He threw a fistful of dust at her. Seiren covered her face with her cloak; she'd heard about the irritating properties of summoner's dust, which was why Hannans' skins were so leathery and scarred.

He's calling his demon!

Seiren fingered her runes. She peeped through the slit in her cloak. To her surprise, the fat lizard the Hannan had conjured ambled back to him at his beckoning, swallowing, live, two citizens it had caught. Their muffled screams emanated from its throat and then its chest. Its slit-pupiled eyes focused on Seiren for a second time. She braced herself, letting go of her cloak. The lizard studied her with intelligent eyes, tilting its head on an axis – and then struck.

She leapt back, barely anticipating its attack. Its mouth hit the ground, sending dust flying and cracking the stone ground. Lifting its head back, it slammed a thick front leg forward, forked tongue flicking out continuously. Its tail quivered. A few stray scales flaked off its head.

My god, its mouth is massive.

You think the summoner is compensating for something?

Now's not a good time to make flippant jokes, Seiren.

Sorry, mother.

Seiren's chest tightened a little at the word. The first demon had gone down quick enough despite its apparent leathery thick skin, but she had the alleyway to contain the fire and limit the damage. There were no nearby walls to do that at the train station. She continued to step back, the heel of her boots tapping on the smooth paved ground. She never broke gaze with the lizard; with the reaction it had just now, she wasn't sure she would survive one glance away. Out of the corner of her eye, the Hannan stood there, weaving his dust. As long as the thing remained under his control, he couldn't leave. That was a silver lining at least.