Chapter 80: Exile

Seiren sat in a different cell, one that was a bit warmer at least, for two more days. They fed her bread and water, but otherwise kept their distance. Nobody answered her questions. Nobody she knew came by. In fact, nobody else came to her at all. A small, barred window stood at the top, too high for her to see through, but at least she could keep track of the days and nights. This cell was also runed. She couldn't even summon a puff of burst magic.

On the third day, the guards came for her. There were, again, an entourage of them, weapons drawn. One banged his gun against her bars, but she'd heard them coming. She didn't jump. She didn't want to give them the satisfaction. There was the jingling of metal keys and two guards filed in, guns pointed at her. She stared at the wall, heaving a sigh.

"On your feet, Seiren Nithercott," barked the nearest one, throwing a pile of clothes and some boots at her feet. "Get dressed. We're escorting you to your train."

She gave them a side glance and they stiffened up.

"You're going to watch me change?"

"You're a traitor. You don't get afforded human courtesies," said another one, a woman, who stepped forward cautiously and unlocked her shackles. The men turned around, but the female soldier kept her gun trained on Seiren. With a shake of her head, Seiren threw the thin gown off her head and tugged the itchy but somewhat thicker knee-length tunic dress on. The leggings were baggy but at least the boots fitted. She stood and followed. They slapped metal cuffs on her wrists again and kept close, watching her every move. They took such a long and convoluted way she could not make head nor tail of the direction, but, noting the indigo runes that glowed atop each cell, she wasn't surprised. The design of this place was to confuse prisoners, making escape impossible. She didn't bother to look into each cell. Rowan was far from here. The king's mages would make sure of that.

They emerged onto an isolated corridor. To her surprise, they were still in the Council of Mages. She'd half-expected to end up in Bicknor with the time they'd taken to drag her out. And the soldiers stopped.

"Mage Haigh," said one in a courteous but wary voice. Seiren looked up.

Kommora Haigh stood there, nose turned up and mouth downturned, looking as disgruntled as always. Her beady dark eyes gave showed no recognition when they met Seiren's.

"So this is where you held that little traitor," she said in a haughty voice.

"We're escorting her to her next holding area, Mage Haigh. If you'll excuse us."

"Well, I only have one thing to say." Her eyes bored holes into Seiren's soul. "Rules are there to prevent traitors from rising, Nithercott. You may beg, but there will always be just punishment."

Seiren's mouth half-opened, but before she could say a word, a shove sent her forward and almost flying. Kommora strode ahead without a backward glance, back straight. She wasn't accompanied by Ash and Liore. How unusual.

She knows how to play the game, Madeleine had said. Seiren bit her lip. She was sure that message was encrypted. There will always be just punishment. To others, it might seem Kommora was referring to Seiren's apparent treason, but she knew Kommora meant more than that. She meant the king's mages. She was on Loren's side, and Loren was good. Kommora has to be on their side. Seiren could only hope. Rowan trusted Kommora and Seiren trusted Rowan.

All she had to do was ditch these soldiers and escape before she got forced onto the train to Moakai. Once the train started, there was no way back. They were not magical, so if she chose the right moment, a strong enough bout of burst magic could throw them off and there would be a split second when she could draw a rune.