Chapter 70: Why She Died

"So you're saying it wasn't a Hannan?" Seiren's brow knitted. Rowan managed a small smile.

"I don't know. The whole circumstances are strange, if you think about it."

"I spent six years trying very hard not to. All these bloody--"

"Flashbacks. I know. I remember. That's why I didn't want to tell you about it."

Ah. Back when he'd correctly guessed why she failed at burst magic, he'd also correctly guessed it was Madeleine in the necklace. Even though Seiren made a point of not telling him anything.

"Well, go on then," said Seiren in a low voice.

"With what?"

"Tell me why Loren died!"

"Well..." He hesitated. "I don't think you killed Kristen Harred. I don't think there was a Hannan there, that day, but Kristen Harred died. I saw her body in the casket at her funeral."

"Great, that's one thing we have in common."

Rowan didn't rise to her second bait either.

"I sent Loren to your old house in Finberry to see if she could scope out any clues. The kings' mages took over her investigation back then and we were just told the Hannan was caught and executed, but there was no trial, no body, no trails. It was all very hush-hush, not unlike all these mage attacks recently."

"So you sent her to die."

Rowan flinched.

That was a horrid thing to say, Seiren Harred, and you know it.

Seiren pressed her lips together, avoiding Rowan's gaze. He sighed heavily.

"I did. It's my fault she's dead."

"Don't say that!" she burst out, leaping to her feet. "You're meant to be angry! Tell me off for having a bad tongue and a mouth full of crap. Shout at me. Do something!"

To her frustration, Rowan merely gave a small, sad smile. "But you're right."

"You're an idiot."

Your insight is staggering, Seiren.

"Loren found out something she wasn't supposed to. I can't help but feel they're hiding something. I guess we'll never find out." Rowan looked so fatalistic Seiren wanted to grab his shoulders and shake him. "But... maybe it's the hopeful sliver of me left. I can't help but feel maybe, maybe, her death wasn't in vain. Maybe she could have passed something onto us, in only a way Loren could."

"'She's alive, Ker.'"

"I'm sorry?"

"Loren's last words to me before she -- before it happened." Seiren squeezed her eyes together to shut out the images that spun before her and they eased away. "She pushed chaos magic back at me, then said, 'She's alive. Ker.' and stopped talking."

"Ker. Ker. Ker."

"No, not drawn out like that. More like a kuh sound."

Rowan stared at her. "Kristen? Could she have meant Kristen?"

He might as well have slapped her with a fish.

"My mother is dead, Rowan. Two hundred people including you attended her funeral and saw her casket. They saw her dead body."

"Someone killed Loren after I sent her to Finberry to investigate. In Benover. It wouldn't be just any petty crime and Loren has no natural enemies."