The Quest:Chapter 26

Start from the beginning

"Legolas, you defied me!" Thranduil boomed. Legolas lowered his head to the floor, trying to think of how his father could have possibly found out.

"I'm sorry father. It will not happen again." Legolas was saddened at the thought of sleeping away from Alannah but knew he would do anything to garner his father's approval. Thranduil rolled his eyes, having had enough of the situation already.

"No, it won't. A guard will remain outside her bedroom door until the end of this three-day trial. This is exactly what I meant about love versus lust, Legolas." Thranduil grabbed his nearby goblet and took a deep swig of the sweet wine it held. Legolas frowned at the news, not wishing for Alannah to feel prisoner in her room.

"That is unnecessary father." Legolas muttered. Thranduil glared at his son, always a bit rebellious.

"After what I saw taking place in your bedroom this morning, I don't think it is. Now leave me before I exchange the guard for an escort back to Gondor." Thranduil narrowed his eyes at Legolas until he nodded obediently and turned to leave.

~

Alannah walked outside of the king's halls into the sunlight. She felt foolish for sleeping in Legolas's room and even more so for being caught. Quickly, she climbed a nearby tree and sat on one of its large branches overlooking the forest floor. A slight breeze rustled the new leaves spring had brought forth, centering her and bringing her into a much-needed calmer state.

"Quite a morning." Legolas announced as he quietly walked on the branch towards her. Alannah looked over her shoulder, surprised at how quiet he could be.

"That's an understatement. I'm certain your father does not like me." Alannah muttered. Legolas sat beside her, plucking a few leaves from the tree branch.

"It's not that. He ordered that we not share lodgings yesterday. It was my fault. But do not worry meleth nin, soon we won't have to concern ourselves with such things." Legolas smiled as he worked the leaves in his fingers, crafting a leaf crown and placed it upon her head. "Lady of the Woodland Realm."

She giggled at the sweet gesture, blushing when he placed the palm of his hand on her cheek. Alannah leaned in and gently kissed his lips before leaping from the tree branch and landing on the forest floor. The remainder of the day, they alternated playing in the forest as if they were children. They climbed trees, hid from one another until they were found, and laid in the grass watching the clouds move across the sky. As the day began to end and the sun started to set, they strolled hand in hand talking about their future together. Alannah suddenly grew quiet as she looked around her. There were other elves walking in the distance, some talking amongst themselves as they carried on their duties as well as the elven guard, ever watchful over their lands. Alannah sighed as she leaned her head on Legolas's shoulder. He frowned, sensing her sudden change in emotion.

"You miss our friends, and Gandalf don't you?" Legolas asked as he pulled her under his arm. She nodded, wondering when she would see them again.

"I do. Know that I'm happy Legolas, I think I'm just not used to being in one place instead of constantly moving around. I'll have to learn." She admitted. Legolas kissed the top of her head before adjusting her crown of leaves.

"We'll see them again. I wouldn't dare keep my wife from others she loves. After we're married if you'd like, we will travel once more. I'll take you to Minas Tirith to see Aragorn and Gandalf. Perhaps even visit the Shire and see the hobbits. I'll even venture to Erebor to see Gimli." Legolas's heart leapt when he watched a smile grow on her face, her eyes sparkling as it caught the last rays of the evening sun.

"I'd love that!" Alannah jumped, wrapping her arms around his neck. She pressed a hard kiss to his mouth; even more so grateful fate had delivered him to her.