Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Start from the beginning

"What is this, my lord?" said the wizard "The houses of the dead are no places for the living. And why do men fight here in the Hallows when there is war enough before the Gate?"

"Since when has the Lord of Gondor has been answerable to thee? Or may I not command my servants?" questioned Denethor in rage.

"You may," said Gandalf "But others may contest your will when it is turned to madness and evil. Where is your son, Faramir?"

"He lies within," said Denethor "burning, already burning. They have set a fire in his flesh. But soon all shall be burned. The West has failed. It shall all go up in a great fire, and all shall be ended. Ash! Ash and smoke blown away on the wind!"

Then Gandalf sees the madness that was for him fearing that he had already done some evil deed, and he thrust forward, Denethor gave back until he stood beside the table within. They place the body of Faramir, still dreaming of his fever, lying on the table. Yet, no fire had been lit.

Denethor stood next to his son. But he could not see, that he was not dead, but alive. He commanded, "Set a fire!" The remaining Soldiers, with lit torches, approached Denethor, looking in despair at their lord. He grabbed the torch. He tossed the torch on the pyre. The pyre where he planned to step on and be burned with his son.

As the fire lit, Gandalf took up a spear and charged Denethor, knocking him off the pyre. Pippin sprang onto the pyre and rolled Faramir down off it. A burning Denethor rose and attacked Pippin. "No! You will not take my son from me!" the Ruling Steward of Gondor demanded.

"He calls," said Gandalf "but you cannot come to him yet. For he must seek healing on the threshold of death, and maybe find it not."

Faramir opened his eyes and looked at his father. "Faramir... my son. Ah!" he was engulfed in flames, and Denethor ran out of the mausoleum. He gave a great cry, and afterwards spoke no more, nor was ever again seen by mortal men. Denethor fell from the edge of Minas Tirith.

"So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion." Gandalf noted "And so pass also the days of Gondor that you have known; for good or evil they are ended. Evil deeds have been done here; but let now all enmity that lies between you be put away, for it was contrived by the Enemy and works his will."

- - -

On Pelennor Fields...

The Rohirrim were routing the orcs. At that moment it seemed that the men or Rohan were winning. The sky was covered with a red dust, like a mist as the horse masters rode and slew as many Orcs as they could.

Éomer shouted, "Drive them back to the river!"

Théoden ordered his men "Make safe this city!"

As the Rohirrim drove away the Orcs towards the river. Things start to show that the riders of Rohan, were winning this round. There came great beasts into view, like moving houses in the red and fitful light, the Mûmakil of the Harad dragging through the lanes amid the fires huge towers, and engines. Yet, their Captain cared not greatly what they did or how many might be slain. Their purpose was only to test the strength of the defense and to keep the men of Gondor busy in many places.

The drums rolled louder. Fires leaped up. Haradrim, mounted on the Mûmakil, blew horns. The Mûmakil ran past the retreating Orcs. The King of Rohan did not hesitate. Théoden called his party to reform and be ready to attack "Reform the line! Reform the line! Sound the charge! Rohirrim! Charge!"