chapter 12: dulce

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding in

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I shut my eyes, resting my elbows on my knees as I clasped my hands together. Focusing on my breathing, I counted the seconds to try and calm myself down.

I opened my eyes at the sound of doors opening, only to sigh to see it wasn't the person I was expecting. Sitting back in my seat, I slouched a little and moved my eyes to my uncontrollable bouncing leg. Camila was right, my leg bounces when I'm nervous. And the fact that she was right, wasn't making me any less nervous.

"What?" Camila sounded confused, and I didn't blame her because this was confusing. And so sudden. I reversed out of the parking spot as she added, "What happened to Gene?"

"He had a heart attack, Camila." I repeated, hurrying to the restaurant my family was celebrating Christmas at. My cousin held on to the door, scared at how I was driving. I didn't care, because I planned to just drop him off and drive to the hospital Gene was at. "Some nurse just called me...she, um, she said he collapsed at the diner and-"

"Stop sign!" Cesar shouted, but it was too late because I already drove past it.

"Y/N, relax. Slow down." Camila sounded nervous now. "I'm sure he's fine. What hospital? I'll meet you there." She asked, some shuffling heard on her side.

"Mercy Hospital." I told her.

"Shit," Camila muttered, then some whispers were heard after. A minute later, she said, "I texted Shawn, he'll meet you there first. I'll be there as soon as I can."

My car came to a screeching halt in front of the restaurant. My cousin jumped out of the car quickly, looking at me incredulously. "What the hell?!" He shouted, catching his breath.

"Tell my dad I had to go. Emergency." I said simply, leaning over to shut the door. Cesar stared at me, blinked and didn't say a word. Shaking my head, I huffed at him. "Thanks." I said before driving off.

"Y/N, relax." I heard Camila say, making me loosen my grip on the steering wheel, just a little. "Don't rush, you'll get into an accident. And think positively, okay?"

Releasing a breath, I swallowed thickly and nodded. "Okay."

We hung up a second later, and I couldn't help but think. I was thinking positively, I was. At least, I was trying to. But I couldn't wrap my head around why he put me as his emergency contact.

Out of all the people, why me?

"Hey, sorry." I heard a voice say, the person taking a seat next to me. He looked at me, eyes full of worry causing me to sigh. "Is he alright?" He asked.

"I don't know." I sat up, rubbing my temples nervously. He watched me, curiously waiting for me to say more. "I haven't gone inside to see him. His doctor said I could, that he was resting." I breathed out.

"So why haven't you...?" Shawn started, unsure on whether to ask or not.

"Because I just can't." I said, shrugging as I sat back. I met his eyes briefly, then shook my head. "I don't have a reason why. I just can't. And I don't know why I don't have a reason why." I huffed.