Essay

"We're seriously so close, why would you want to take a break now?" I ask.

"McKenna, it's 11:30, we could easily finish in the morning, and most importantly, I'm bored and I've gone over 3 hours without fidgeting with anything. And I have the best fidget toy in the world right in front of me," Jay replies, using the eraser end of his pencil to poke at my stomach, making me coil in.

"What makes me a better fidget toy than any other?"

"Most fidget toys can't help me write history essays," he replies, now using the eraser to lift up my left arm.

"Okay, we should go take a walk, but we need to come right back in after, let's say..." I pull out my phone. 11:32pm. "15 minutes?"

"Sounds good," he responds, and suddenly he scoops me into the air, making me yelp, and drops me into his shirt pocket.

"You're such a dick," I complain, still shaken up from the sudden movement. I'm used to Jay grabbing me out of no where like this, but it still scares me every time.

"What's that?" he jokes, pulling on a coat. "It sounds like someone was saying something. I guess it was in my head. Wow, it's probably cold out, I sure would want to zip up my coat to keep warm." He does so, trapping me in darkness for only about a second as he quickly unzips again to let me breathe.

"I'm going to kill you," I say upon release. I feel him poke my stomach through his pocket and he giggles when I make a choking noise.

"Someday, but not today." He steps outside and instead of the walk we planned, we end up sitting on the porch and talking for an hour. There was little conversation, mostly just appreciating the clear of the night. Our friendship is entirely based on messing with each other and making jokes, but having these few and far apart moments of complete peace were what really cemented us. Nothing but each other and the stars.

"Okay, it's almost one am, we need to go back in," I suggest. Jay agrees and sets his hand out for me to step on and I drop back into his pocket.

"I'm too tired to put on pajamas, let's just fuck it and sleep," I declare.

"Same," he replies, turning off the light. We go to bed and he jokingly sets his hand on me, immobilizing me. Normally I'm pissed by this joke, but this time I'm so tired I give in and allow the warmth of his hand to put me to sleep. We can finish the essay tomorrow.