thirty three

"alive"

"alive"

"Rocky, what the fuck is all of this, man?" Red inquired, his voice booming through my loft as I remained buried in my sorrow.
I didn't reply, watching him and Marcus march in and immediately start touching my belongings.

"You've been laying in this heap of fuckery for two weeks now. It's time to get up and get out," Red continued to rant while Marcus straightened up the things that were originally put in disarray by Quinn.
"For what, man?" I asked, my voice groggy from my lack of speaking and my previous crying spell.

"Because you fuckin' stink!" Red's face seemed to scrunch up in distaste.
"Rocky, you knew what the potential consequences of your actions would be, if you told her what you've been doing. There's no use in moping around about it. Besides, you've got responsibilities. You can't afford to be down and out over a girl," Marcus reasoned.

"I can and I will. I mean— I knew she'd be upset but. . . I didn't know it was gonna' go down like that. She told me that she hates me," I shook my head.
"You cheated on her in the middle of her going through a breakdown. I mean—"
"C'mon, Red," Marcus nudged my friend.

"Look, Rock. I know for a fact that she doesn't hate you, alright? She was hurt when she said that, and she's entitled to how she feels," Marcus reminded me.
"You sittin' around moping and shit— have you even tried to call her?" Red asked.

"What's the point? She's just gonna' hang up on me," I shrugged with a pout of defeat on my face.
Red rolled his eyes. "You obviously don't want her as bad as you think you do since you're not even making an effort," he muttered.

Marcus spoke before I could reply to Red's smart ass comment. "If you really want her back, it'd probably be best if you cut things short with Violet first."

"Hold on. You're still kickin' it with that b—"
"Red," Marcus interjected, giving him a look that told him not to start with that bullshit.

He threw his hands up in response, shaking his head.
"It ain't that easy. How many times do I have to say that shit?" I groaned.
"Why isn't it simple, Rock?" Marcus asked me.

I sighed deeply. "Violet hooked me up to where I'll be featured at her next art show."
"So, what does that mean?" his eyebrows furrowed a little.
"It means that I'll have my own space to showcase my work, and people can buy my works at upscaled prices, man. I can make bank," I explained.

"So, you threw away your relationship. . . in an effort to finesse Violet to give you a platform to make more money," Red spoke slowly, his eyes squinted a little as if he were trying to piece together what was being said.

"No. I'm not trying to finesse anybody, and I didn't just throw away my relationship with Quinn," I rolled my eyes.
"What do you call it then?" he asked.