seventeen

"the leaves"

"the leaves"

"How do you know if you're in love?" It felt surreal actually listening to the words slip past my lips. . . and by the look on Red's face, he probably felt as if he didn't hear me correctly.

"What did you just say?" his eyebrows were furrowed while his frown lines deepened. He was staring at me as if I'd grown two heads.
"You heard me, man. . . I mean— I really really really like shorty," I explained before sitting up from my relaxed position on the couch and moving to the edge of my seat.

I hesitated with going into detail, but I did so anyway and secretly hoped Red wouldn't clown me for of it.

"When I wake up, I wish she was there. When I go to bed, I wish she was next to me. When I'm not with her, I miss her like crazy— I feel like a fuckin' feen when I'm not with her. . . and when I am with her, I just— It feels like. . . drinking hot chocolate. It goes down smooth, but it hits the soul hard. It hits the spot like no other and warms your heart and your ribcage and all that shit. It's like. . . waking up out of a dead sleep at 3:00 in the morning with cottonmouth and then getting a nice, cold glass of water. . . It's like having chocolate for the first time— like having warm honey for the first time. . . It's messy but it's so fucking worth it, man," I shook my head, a smile creeping up on my lips unbeknownst to me.

"Is that what being in love feels like?" my eyes reverted back to my friend.
He took a while to answer, only blinking once before answering. "I don't know. . . I've never been in love before so. . ."

I nodded in understanding, slightly disappointed that the only person I turned to for advice had none to give.

"I think you should call Emerald," he suggested.
"Sweets?" I questioned his judgement.
He nodded. "She's wise, and she's always right. . . You need to tell her everything you just told me, and she'll probably be able to answer that question for you."
"I don't know," I was apprehensive simply because she was Quinn's cousin.

What if she tells Quinn the thoughts that have been eating at me since before she was even my girlfriend? What if she's extra hard on me simply because she doesn't want Quinn to end up hurt?

"Trust me, man. . . I'll call her myself, if you want," he insisted.
"Nah, I'm good. Really," I nodded while standing.
"You sure?" his eyebrows remained furrowed as he stood and found some nearby stationery.
"Yeah. . . I gotta' figure this out for myself," I assured him.
"Alright, well, I'm gonna give you her number anyway just in case you change your mind. . . You need anything else, just let me know," he scribbled down a series of digits before offering it to me.
"No doubt," I reluctantly took the piece of paper before linking my hand with his so that we could engage in a handshake.