Chapter 35 | Surprise Dates

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Gray." I smiled, tears welling up in my eyes, "No one has ever done anything like this for me."

"Well consider me to be the first person and the last person to." He replies smoothly, smiling.

Grayson presses a kiss to my forehead before grabbing my hands and leading me to the blue and red plaid blanket spread across the grass.

As we both made ourselves comfortable, laying down and looking up at the night scattered full of stars, Grayson let out a deep breath.

His gaze was still fixed at the stars that shined brightly as he spoke, "The representative came, Mae."

My breath hitched as my face broke out in a smile.

"They want me at their school, to play football for them." He mumbles, almost convincing himself to not be happy.

My smile fades.

Grayson and I had choose to only talk about the issue multiple times, afraid that it would come to bite us back in the ass later on.

Well, it did.

And god damn did it hurt.

"Don't tell me that even for one second you considered me about not going." I scolded, turning to face his side profile, him still looking up.

"I know..." He muttered, his breath slowing down.

He was serious. He was actually contemplating this.

"There is no way I would let you not go to this school Gray! This is your dream!" I said, my voice raising.

"It's UA, Elana. It's freaking Alabama for god's sake!" He replied, his voice matching my tone as well.

"Alabama is no where near California. How am I supposed to leave you? I can't even imagine how my life was like without you and now you expect me to let you go so easily?" Gray questions, his voice nearly breaking. "Long distance rarely works and even if it did, do you really think that we could do it? Do you think that I could do it?" He mumbles, his eyes reading sorrow and sadness.

I sat up, looking at him astonished. Almost as if it was on instinct, I swung my left leg over his lower body and straddled him, pulling his gaze to me.

"Listen here and listen straight Grayson Cooper Christensen, there is no way you are giving up your dream school and potentially your dream career for me." I told him, as he tried to butt in. I cut him off before continuing again, "Long distance may not work for others and I know can't prove that we aren't them. But we can try Gray, we can try. We will make it work baby, somehow." I smiled.

He pulled himself up and pulled me into a hug, nearly squeezing the shit out of me.

"I'll just miss you so much."

With that, my heart wrenched.

Because the problem was that I couldn't guarantee the future and neither could he.

"Well we can do it Gray, because you only get this type of love once and I'd be a stupid fool to let this go."

He let me go and reached for his phone before pulling me up with him.

"Dance with me."

[Author's Note: Play the song above right now :)]

"I can't dance, Gray." I laughed, knowing the partial truth to that.

I don't think the ballet lessons I had that started as quickly as they ended counted as experience.

He chuckled before clearing his throat and standing upright.

Before I could comprehend what he was doing he took a bow and I chuckled.

Quickly I curtsied and looked back up at his gaze.

"Gray, what are you—" I asked before letting out a yelp as he pulled me close.

My grin only reached my ears as I heard 'Say You Won't Let Go' played.

As we moved step by step, I rested my head on his chest, listening to the steady pace of his heartbeat.

🎶 I knew I loved you then
But you'd never know
'Cause I played it cool when I was scared of letting go
I knew I needed you
But I never showed
But I wanna stay with you
Until we're grey and old
Just say you won't let go
Just say you won't let go 🎶

Grayson Cooper Christensen, I will never let you go.

I promise.

•••

Updated: 3•24•18

Updated: 3•24•18