Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Lunch ends fairly quickly with the guys eventually warming up to me, the whole table filled with laughter.

"You know, you should come down to the field for some football." Keith offered, still breathless from laughing at my joke from earlier.

"Nah I don't think—" Gray started before Travis cut him off.

"I don't think so either, if you run her over Travis, Gray's gonna be out to get you." He chortled and nudged one of the others.

They started arguing, some agreeing and others saying that it was too far.

"All right y'all, I don't mind—" I said, silencing everyone as they look at me with amusement, doubt, and curiosity.

"You really don't have to—" Grayson reassured, leaving it be. I laughed it off and told him it would be fine and that I would meet them on the field during seventh since I had an early schedule from 1-6 period instead of 2-7.

Only a few of the players could make it though, most choosing to sleep in instead of taking 1-6. Eventually, the group was narrowed to Gray, Travis, Cody, Marshall, Keith, Michael, and me.

"There are not enough people for an actual game," Gray said shrugging, "But we can throw the ball back and forth and run it to the endzone for fun."

The guys agreed and so did I, taking our time to leisurely pack up, not wanting to get to class with awkward minutes to spare.

"Your last class today is Psychology right?" Gray questioned, picking up my practice bag.

I didn't bother to argue that I was capable of carrying the bag myself but instead walked alongside him. Maybe chivalry wasn't dead after all.

"I'm actually going to just pick up some homework real quick and head to the yearbook and journaling room," I replied, both of us walking towards Meacham's class.

"Go to class idiot, you're gonna be late." I ushered, pushing him down the opposite hall lightly.

He smiles a boyish grin before rubbing the nape of his neck, a habit I slowly realized he had.

"Okay, okay fine," He pouted, "Since you don't want me around so badly, I guess I'll go."

I joked at the way he exaggerated and seeing that the halls were empty and the bell had just rung, I pulled him in for a peck before grabbing my practice bag from him and walking off before he could say anything.

As I continued walking, not turning around, Grayson took the chance to yell quietly, just loud enough for me to hear.

"If I knew that was how you were going to shut me up, I'll whine and pout more often."

My hands curled as I cringed and turned around, "I'll pretend I didn't hear that."

What cringy ass romantic love story did I fall into?

•••

"So I think that even though I'm not in charge of the yearbook committee this year, you guys should try and position the pictures for the elective pages to mimic more movement to make it interesting. I'm always here if you need any help!" I tell the oncoming set of freshmen and sophomores who joined the program more recently.

The nod understandingly and proceeded to crop and tilt pictures while others add borders and rims.

After monitoring the yearbook committee for a bit, I made my way over to the smaller room designated for those whose main focus was the senior memory book.