26 - Things Unspoken

Start from the beginning

"As much as I enjoy my bed there is a downside to be taking my meals in here," she explained, holding up one tiny crumb in between her fingers with an indignant glare. "I swear these things multiply in between my sheets if I don't brush them off immediately!" She flicked the crumb away as if it were a despicable criminal.

Thranduil raised an eyebrow, the ghost of a smile twitching around the corners of his mouth while he silently enjoyed the sight of Anna wrinkling her freckled nose in annoyance.

"I see now that there is an imperative need for you to be allowed out of bed for your mealtimes. I shall instruct Brethilwen to serve you at the table from now on lest she wishes to incur your wrath and mine."

He had lowered his voice to a conspiratorial whisper and Anna couldn't help but smile at the boyish grin he displayed, so very unlike his usual rigid self. She nodded contentedly, as this would be at least a small improvement to her situation, but her woes were not quite sorted out yet. Twisting one of the tiny white buttons of her nightgown in between her fingers she said: "I am sorry if I must appear impatient, but could I not at least be allowed to get up and walk around my room? I haven't even been able to see all the beautiful things this chamber has to offer. And I also don't think that I need constant supervision from the healers and servants. I do feel much better already and I doubt that staying in bed is absolutely necessary to improve my health."

Thranduil sighed, his playfulness swiftly hidden behind the aura of duty and concern. "You know that we have been going over this every time I come to visit you and you know already what my answer will be."

He fixed Anna with one of his piercing glances which would usually have put a brusque end to her objections; but not today. Today she would not let herself be silenced by stern glances and rigorous words. She was a grown woman after all, not a little girl, quite capable of taking her own decisions, or so she thought.

"Yes, I know and I don't want to sound ungrateful. I appreciate all the care I am receiving, but I am beginning to feel like a prisoner in my own bed." With an overly melodramatic sigh she sank back into the pillows, but Thranduil would not be so easily swayed.

"I am sorry that you feel like that, but I assure you that it will not be long now until you can leave behind the confines of your bed and maybe even this chamber. Brethilwen tells me she is very satisfied with your progress and she might even soon allow you to walk with me around the hallways."

"But you are the king! You can allow me to get up. You don't need anyone's permission!" she insisted as she flicked another breadcrumb from her bed with a deadly glare that could almost rival the Elvenking's.

"You are quite right. I do not need anyone's permission. But I am also a healer and so is Brethilwen and since I hold her judgement in high esteem I will not override her decision just because you are being impatient."

Anna rolled her eyes, putting on a grim face and muttering something of 'unfair' and 'endless' under her breath, but she knew already that she was getting nowhere with her complaints. Obviously the Elvenking was not only much more versed in fighting an argument, but he also had reason and prudence on his side, while she had only impatience and rashness to speak for herself.

"Don't give me that sour look," Thranduil said, tilting his head sideways as if he was talking to an unreasonable child. "You know that this is only for your own good. I do not wish to compromise your health. Your injuries were severe and a few weeks are nothing in comparison to the rest of your lifetime."

"In comparison to your lifetime maybe," she grumbled, feeling downcast and glum, "but my days are surely numbered."

A sorrowful glance flickered across Thranduil's face. "Please, do not feel so dejected. It is only a necessary precaution. I simply want to make sure you will be all right."