8 - Mayhem in Mirkwood

Anna froze in her tracks on the narrow ledge as she caught sight of a vibrant red mane that could only belong to one person: Tauriel

Anna froze in her tracks on the narrow ledge as she caught sight of a vibrant red mane that could only belong to one person: Tauriel. And beyond doubt it was her graceful figure who was sitting at the bottom of the stairs with her back to Anna, right beside one of the cells, immersed in an animated conversation with whoever was inside that prison.

Anna pressed herself against the wall behind her trying to stay out of view. Although it was not forbidden for her to be wandering in this area of the palace, she felt considerably uneasy if she created the impression that she was either doing something secretive or that she had actually been following Tauriel. After all, she was the one who still treated her with a distinct trace of distrust. She slouched to the floor and peered around the corner, trying to pick up something of the conversation that was going on down there, but the voices were hushed and quite intimate, surely this did not sound like a guard talking to a prisoner. But it was impossible to make out the words that were said. And even if she would be able to understand something, she was quite sure that none of it was intended for her ears. Now she could even see calloused hands emerge from between the bars and reaching out for Tauriel's hands. And to Anna's surprise she did not pull hers away, but held on to them in something that did look considerably more than just a friendly handshake.

She retreated back around the corner, feeling that she had intruded into something private and remained crouched on the floor, her mind trying to digest what she just had witnessed. Could it be that Tauriel had an interest in one of the dwarves? Would that not be quite an affront? After all that she had learned in her short stay in the Woodland Realm it was quite clear that Elves and Dwarves were not necessarily on friendly terms. While she sat there dwelling on her thoughts she suddenly noticed the obvious absence of voices travelling up and she could make out the distinct shuffling of footsteps approaching the ledge where she was hiding. She shrank back into the shadows and held her breath, hoping to stay undetected, when Tauriel passed her with swift strides. Her head sank back against the wall as she closed her eyes and exhaled in relief.

"Walk with me." Tauriel had turned around to face Anna and beckoned her to step closer. She scrambled to her feet and approached Tauriel with an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

"I know how this must look to you, but I was not eavesdropping. I just wanted to, I was on my way to —," she stammered, but Tauriel cut her off abruptly.

"I don't know what you think you saw, but I assure you it is none of your concern."

"Yes, of course, I was not assuming anything," she was quick to reply.

"I need some fresh air, why don't you come with me? You look like you could use a change of ambience too." Tauriel did not wait for Anna's answer but picked up a swift pace like was her usual style and so did Anna not to lag behind.

Up the twisting passages and meandering bridges she trotted beside her silently until they reached the gates that were pulled open at Tauriel's command. The morning sun greeted her with a blissful golden glimmer through the branches that were still laden with leaves in dark red and burnt orange. Autumn had put on its colourful raiment in the Woodland Realm and it was beautiful. She eagerly soaked in the fresh air and allowed the sun rays to tickle her nose when she heard Tauriel beside her. "Come, let us walk down to the river."