Chapter 14- And If It Comes Back, It's Yours

hey guys, sorry to keep you waiting but here is the final chapter! The epilogue is the next chapter so make sure you remember to read that too! Please vote, comment, fan? i'd love to know what you think about the story! thanks guys <3 - Bbambi

Chapter 14- And If It Comes Back, It’s Yours

The lingering whistle of a leaving train saturated the air, which was already laced with the noise of a bustling station. A crowd, rushing alongside the tracks, causing the platform to resonate with a blur of voices and footsteps. The station stunk of petrol and coffee and the stale air was heavy with the suffocating scent of wet clothing. The rain gushed along the gutters, contaminated by rust and limescale.

Outside, the storm raged against the windows. The dark clouds threw fistfuls of fresh water at the glass.

I ran my fingers over the handle of my suitcase. Summer had left as quickly as it had come. During only a few of nights sleep in the derelict house, the temperature had declined to that of a frosty autumn. It suited the situation, I thought, because as much as I longed for the soothing veil of sunlight to sweep over my skin, my mind was swallowed by storm clouds of it’s own. A thick haze of bitterness, regret and shame. Of anger, hate and self-pity. Malice made it’s way into my veins, contaminating me with each seething beat of my broken heart.

I hate you.

My eyes burned into the back of his head. He continued to read the timetable, checking for the next available train. Then, almost as if he sensed my eyes on him, he turned and faced me. His eyes met mine. Pale blue and riddled with greed. I glared at him, our eyes locked.

I hate you.

He blinked at me, and began to walk over. 

“Next train is at 8:30” he told me, leaning against a lamp post.

I checked my watch. It was only 7:45.

“That’s 45 minutes away!” I complained.

“Yeah?” he started, slumping next to me on the bench. “Well, that’ll give you plenty of time to sulk.”

I turned my head away from him, deliberately flipping my hair over my shoulder. Who did he think he was? I had every reason to sulk. He’d ruined my life.

I folded my arms over my chest, hiding my ice cold hands in my coat. With each breath I exhaled, I expelled puffs of steam. A thin layer of frost had coated my boots and my toes were numb with cold. 

Time seemed to pass slower than usual, like every second was semi-frozen by the frosty weather.

“Ugh lighten up already, will you?” Caleb moaned from beside me, “Just get over it.”

I screwed up my face in frustration, biting back my spiteful retort. 

“Are you going to hold this against me forever?”

Forever. Just what I wanted to be reminded of. I was stuck with this jerk forever. 

Why don’t you just leave?

“Hello? Isn’t ignoring me a little juvenile for someone as uptight as you?”

But I couldn’t leave. If I didn’t have Jason, then I wouldn’t have anyone. There was 

nowhere to go but with Caleb.

“I’m not ignoring you, Caleb” I said through gritted teeth. “I’m thinking.”

I glanced at my watch. Only 8:00. 

“Where are we going anyway?” I finally asked.

Caleb smirked. “‘Bout time you asked that! There’s another small town about 3 hours away. There’s no train station there but we can get off in Woodcrest and catch a taxi the rest of the way.”