Chapter Five- For Better or for Worse

Chapter Four- For Better or for Worse

The dark haired man crossed his eyes and poked out his tongue at the woman sitting opposite him.

Alice grinned playfully back, at her husband, after making sure his parents weren’t watching her. They too sat opposite Alice as the emotionally reserved, family ate dinner. Though they were further down the table, from Jason, Alice still looked slightly pathetic sitting all by herself, on one side, of an incredibly long dining table. It seemed a bit strange to her, having a table of that length when the Whilts didn’t really seem like the sort of folk who would entertain much. 

The childish man raised an eyebrow at his wife and stabbed at his steak with his fork. Alice knew she and her husband were acting immaturely. But, things had been going so well since they went swimming in the lake 4 days ago. Acting like children made things feel less complicated. The atmosphere wasn’t so heavy and life didn’t seem so suffocating.

'The blonde haired woman looked down at her plate. 

Poisoned.

Poisoned.

Poisoned....

Alice furrowed her brow. Aware she was most likely being, utterly ridiculous, the young woman went over the memory in her head once more.

* * *

“I told him to do it tonight.” Elnora droned.

The middle aged man had his back to the door. His response was to muffled to make out.

“Of course she will” Elnora snapped in response.

The grey haired woman’s husband mumbled something to do with ‘letting things be’.

A floor board creaked under Alice’s foot as she leant closer to the door in an effort to hear her in-laws more clearly.

“Did you hear that?” the woman spat shrilly, her eyes widening as she flared her nostrils angrily. 

The couple craned their necks to see out the window. Fabian turned towards the door. But by that time, Alice was long gone.

* * *

“Alice?”

“Alice!”

Alice looked up from her plate, to the owner of the irritatingly high pitched voice.

“Mhmm?”

Elnora frowned condescendingly at the beautiful woman sitting on the other side of the table. She considered the lady’s lime green eyes and thick golden curls. Her skin was glowing with a very light tan and her complexion had no imperfections whatsoever. Though she only stood as high as the very tip of Elnora’s chin, (Elnora being of average height for her age and gender) , Alice seemed a lovely addition to the family and a suitable wife for the Whilt’s heir, when it came to appearances.

Pity

For although Alice could be beautiful when she tamed her wild curls, Elnora couldn’t ignore the facts. The girl lacked wealth in her family and nobility in her blood. Her parents were of average intelligence and could not have been expected to educate Alice to the standard achieved by Elnora and her husband. 

Alice sat awkwardly, not daring to move under the judging glare of her mother-in-law. She waited for the thin, grey haired woman addressing her to say something insulting. The wary, young woman watched as Elnora looked her up and down, studying Alice’s features, as though she was making careful notes inside her head.